Monday, 24 January 2011

Happy Monday

A few weeks ago, I wrote 'Black Monday' under today's date in my diary as today was the day that Alex and I were supposed to be attending a tribunal hearing. Today I was supposed to be defending my business and my husband against a former employee. However, as I said in an earlier post, the thorn in our sides was well and truly yanked out by the truth last week, and we decided to go off and quietly celebrate this day. This day that could easily have turned out to be a horrible day for us. 

So, yesterday we headed up to Aberdeen (why Aberdeen?! -  only because we had a free hotel room up there to use up by the end of January!). We had a great night out last night, had a lovely lazy morning this morning (mmmm, buffet breakfast) and topped it off with a leisurely donner around the granite city.

It was fitting that we came across Marischal College; a beautiful building which, at the moment, is clad mostly in hoarding and scaffolding - but you can still see some of its gorgeous stonework. I'd never heard of it but, as we passed it by, Alex informed me that it's the second largest granite structure in the world and that it's undergoing a massive conversion and renovation at the moment. It was fitting because you can take the stonemason away from his work, but you can't take the passion away from the stonemason.

As I said at the beginning of this post, someone tried hard but thankfully failed miserably to do just that.

6 comments:

  1. This wee blog has got its 'voice' already. You may not be sure if blogging is for you but that's not what comes across.

    Glad you both had a great break and were able to celebrate instead of commiserate. I've been to Aberdeen a few times but its always rained so maybe haven't seen it at its best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for such positive feedback. I've been really touched by the kind comments posted here, along with the ones received more privately by email or text.

    We were extremely lucky; the weather was lovely in Aberdeen. Sunshine glistening off the granite - beautiful. Having said that, I've been there in the past when it's been dreich and granite with it's rain coat on isn't that pretty a sight!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a great weekend Jane. And all the better without the thorn.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Certainly was, thanks Ian.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry I am a bit behind with your blog. I loved the fact that on a day that your business, Alex and you could be hurt so deeply and we could do nothing to protect you, it seemed fitting that you found a bit of masonry to admire. It not only seemed to be fate but it showed what a creative and knowledgeable hubby you have km xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw, thanks so much Karen! That's just lovely and very much appreciated.
    And, you succeeded in your quest to comment - big well done! (If it's any consolation, it's not just you who's having issues with it!)xxxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog. I love receiving feedback and comments - even if they're just to say a wee hello! So, I'm looking forward to hopefully hearing from you!