Gemma sent me a text with a picture of a tart attached. Just to reassure me that she is actually eating properly while she’s in the middle of her exams at Uni (but mainly to show it off to her auld maw). It was a balsamic onion, roasted red pepper, garlic and goat’s cheese tart that she’d made from scratch last night:
Looks delicious, doesn’t it? As much as I was really proud of her – and glad that she was indeed feeding herself – a tiny, teensy wee bit of me was kind of upset; I’m still adjusting to the fact that my little girl is becoming more and more successfully independent! It's what we aim for as parents, but it doesn't mean it's easy to adjust to!
Then, when I came home a wee while ago after an evening meeting through in Falkirk, Alex says, “You should’ve seen the dinner that Gordon rustled up for me and Ross tonight: baked sardines in chilli, stuffed peppers and garlic mushrooms. Delicious!” My 15 year old son’s at it too!! They’re throwing together the sort of meals that I couldn’t even think about making till I was 30! I’m Mum. Shouldn’t it only be me that cooks up a storm in the kitchen?!
Absolutely not! I’m proud of the fact that the kids can produce a good meal for themselves, or for the rest of the family, if needs be. Years of having to defend myself as friends raised their hands in horror when I told them that my kids had to make up their own packed lunches, or make their own dinner when I was going to be late home, have been well worth it in the end.
So, this post isn't really about what I've done today that made me feel good, but it does make me feel great that the kids can cook - and cook well. But, of course, they're not quite at the standard of their mother yet....
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog. I love receiving feedback and comments - even if they're just to say a wee hello! So, I'm looking forward to hopefully hearing from you!