Friday, 28 January 2011

Happy with how I am, not how I look!

Yesterday, as part of a course that I’m doing, I was filmed during a role play session. The last time I had to do anything like that was when I was training to be a Medical Sales Rep (many moons ago) with The Sterling Health Group. I’ve still got some of the video footage from then and I’m really glad I kept it. One of the sessions is particularly entertaining to watch as it was filmed the morning after a particularly late night in the hotel bar. (One of the prerequisites of any medical rep worth their salt is the ability to show that they can play as hard as they can work.)  As a result, during the role play session we could hardly hold our heads up, let alone string together a constructive ‘rep visiting GP’ training scenario! I remember doing that ‘please don’t pick me’ thing before we were filmed and then being totally mortified when the tape was played back. I learned absolutely nothing from the session – except that I don’t do ‘work hard play hard’ very well!

Anyway, that was way back then. Yesterday’s session was totally different: a) because I’m all grown up now and wouldn’t go out late-night boozing before a training day and b) because I put my hand up and volunteered to be filmed first! I would never have done that in the past. However, I’m thoroughly enjoying this course and want to get as much out of it as I possibly can – and if that means making a bit of a numpty of myself in front of the camera in the process, I’m more than willing to do that!

On reflection, what makes me feel good about yesterday’s session was my total disregard for how I looked when we played the video back. And I did look pretty bad; I was having a particularly bad hair day and I had no idea that the number of folds under my eyes and chin had increased in number so dramatically! But, I really couldn’t have cared less. All I was bothered about was whether or not I was doing and saying the right things, whether I’d learnt anything from the training course so far, and what kind of feedback I would get from the tutor. I guess, as someone who’s always felt more confident if she’s slapped on a bit of make-up and sorted her hair, it’s a sign that I’m doing the right thing by doing this course: being a bit bedraggled and wrinkly didn’t affect my confidence and eagerness to participate. So, I’ve got a good feeling that I’m on to a good thing with this course, wherever it might lead me – and I’m pretty sure I’ll have much more fun than I did back in the heady days of trudging round GPs’ surgeries and hospitals trying to flog the latest new drug on the market!  

2 comments:

  1. Loved this blog. i know what hard work sales rep have to do to get through each day, from the other side of the fence( and I remember you doing that training). I have no doubt that you would have been a success doing that job but you would have been a very different person now. I do believe that the path you are treading is the one that you should and are destined to be on! Km x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Karen. I know, you might have been one of my customers if I'd stuck with Sterling! Oooh, think of all the lunches, I mean, sales meetings, we could've had at someone else's expense!xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog. I love receiving feedback and comments - even if they're just to say a wee hello! So, I'm looking forward to hopefully hearing from you!