Wednesday, 9 March 2011

Thanking an old friend

We picked up our new car today. It’s always nice to get new things, but I felt a wee bit sad to see our big old Volvo go. OK, so it’s only a car – but that car’s been part of our family for over 8 years and we’ve shared many happy times together! It’s taken us safely up and down the length and breadth of the UK and across the continent umpteen times; it’s carted umpteen kids around from here to there to everywhere; it’s been loaded with umpteen flat packs from Ikea; its roof has been loaded with bikes on umpteen occasions (usually in an atmosphere of blue air); its spacious back-end has provided a welcome platform at the end of umpteen cross country events to sit on while muddy wet spikes are changed for clean, dry trainers; its extra seats have allowed for extra people to fit in on umpteen occasions; and its wee added extras have made our umpteen journeys (no matter how long) all the more comfortable, safe and fun.

Sadly, it’s been showing its age recently and has been costing us a small fortune to maintain. Also, with the rising price of petrol it’s been costing us a small fortune before we’re even out of our driveway! So, it was time for it to go. As we drove out of the garage today, with our shiny new car, I waved goodbye to our old friend and said a quiet little thank you for looking after our family so well over the past eight years. Yup, it is only a car but, on so many different occasions over the years, it made me feel good.

6 comments:

  1. Oh Jane - It's a double edged sword something like that I know from experience. I've been attached to several old jalopies too. I can still feel wistful for a couple of them years later.

    You now officially hold the world record for the highest number of 'umpteen' in a single post!!!!!

    {that was one of my Mum's favourite words and I had to smile as you reminded me of something I had forgotten - cheers}

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can totally relate to what your saying Jane.I lived in a VW Golf GL for over two years.....yes I did say lived in :-) I travelled all over France and Scandanavia in it,then one night on the Antwerp ring in a terrible storm,the engine blew up :-( When I looked at it for the last time I had a pang of sadness,strange eh? as its only a car ok ok a car/house :-) I have now lived and travelled in my current transport for 7 years.Its a VW Transporter,its about to clock up 500,000km and I've had alot of problems with it recently,so I'm planning on buying a new van this year.The point I want to make Jane is that I'm thinking about how I can keep my current Van,you know kinda put it out to pasture :-) where I can go and see it now and again hahahahha seriously! :-) and then at some point in the future when I'm loaded,go get it and smother it in affection by getting it a new engine,paint job etc :-) Me and this Van have travelled and experienced so much over the years I really don't want to sell it ( Value 300e ! )
    Will keep you posted on how things turn out when the time comes to purchase my new Van.Finally Jane? Me and my Van have experienced Umpteen great moments together ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both, umpteen times over, for sharing those thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some cars are part of the family, there is no doubt about that. I recently had to let a car go that I inherited from my late father, which made it even harder to say goodbye to. I had to keep telling myself that the new car it helped to pay for was a final gift from him and that seemed to make it better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You forgot to mention that it also carried the clock at the head of the 10K! Umpteen times?

    ReplyDelete
  6. It always helps to put a positive slant on things Jono. I remember how upset my mum was when she had to trade in Dad's car a few years after he died. It really upset her because it had been his pride and joy - but my mum had never been comfortable driving it so we just kept reminding her how much happier Dad would have been knowing that she was swapping his car for a car that she could drive safely. (And, thanks for dropping in!)

    Aw Colin - great to hear from you, but you brought a tear to my eye! More happy memories! Wonder who'll have the privilege of carrying the clock this year?! (Remember where I am if you need any help, but you'll be an old hand at it now!)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog. I love receiving feedback and comments - even if they're just to say a wee hello! So, I'm looking forward to hopefully hearing from you!