Gordon took part in a hockey tournament after school today; he only started playing a couple of months ago, but he fair enjoys it. I went along and just loved watching him, and the rest of the team from Stirling High, giving it their all; running around, chasing the puck, waving their hockey sticks, geeing each other on ... even though they got well and truly trounced! The teachers were brilliant; encouraging the kids during the games, making sure that good sportsmanship was in play and ensuring that hearty Congratulations for effort was dished out at the end.
It’s the same with the school rugby team. Gordon really enjoys going along to training after school and has good fun with the rest of the lads, but more often than not when they play against another school they get well and truly trounced! I do worry about him playing rugby against teams from schools where rugby is taught more seriously, in other words more skilful and talented teams who know how to tackle effectively! (Though, I’m assured by Gordon that that’s all going to change as their training has ‘definitely stepped up a gear’ with the arrival of their new, young, enthusiastic PE teacher/rugby coach! Time will tell...!)
What a lovely post! Such a nice motto behind it - it definitely is great to be able to enjoy such games and come home feeling motivated from the team spirit. Your commentary reminded me of my own schooldays when I used to play a lot of hockey - it was my favorite game, I just loved being on the team! Good luck Gordon!
ReplyDelete