Friends of ours have just had a baby. John, the proud Dad, arrived at our house at 1 o’clock yesterday afternoon - absolutely shattered, grinning from ear to ear, tears in his eyes - to tell us that Emily had been born at 8am that morning. He was literally oozing happiness. Today I bumped into John while I was in M&S looking for a gift for Emily; he’d been sent to buy some ‘tiny baby’ sleep suits as the ‘new born’ clothes that they’d taken in to hospital were too big! We never had that problem with any of our three kids when they were born! Not that they were bruisers, but let's just say they were fairly easy to handle!
My last baby, Gordon, was born on the 15th of March 1995. He arrived at around 6am and by 11am we were home. By 3pm I was in front of the computer sorting out the payroll for the week. (Who said working from home was easy?!) So, tomorrow we’ll be celebrating Gordon’s 16th birthday, while our friends are just about coming back down to earth after the birth of their first baby. It brings a big fat drippy tear to my eye; I’ve got so many happy memories of those first few weeks after Gordon was born - and so many more from the years that have followed - but the depth of emotion you feel those few hours after your baby's born is something else. I've been extremely lucky to experience that feeling three times in my life and I will never, ever take for granted just how lucky I am. My three healthy, brilliant kids have grown up into young adults who make me proud every day. (OK, so I'm a wee bit high on emotion tonight - but, as I've said before, it's a mother's perogative to be biased when it comes to her children!)
I've just realised that it's past midnight, so this post will be dated the 15th, but it is still the night before Gordon's birthday. Best go wrap his pressie and write his card now; wonder if my poem will be up to his high standard (see earlier post)...?!
My last baby, Gordon, was born on the 15th of March 1995. He arrived at around 6am and by 11am we were home. By 3pm I was in front of the computer sorting out the payroll for the week. (Who said working from home was easy?!) So, tomorrow we’ll be celebrating Gordon’s 16th birthday, while our friends are just about coming back down to earth after the birth of their first baby. It brings a big fat drippy tear to my eye; I’ve got so many happy memories of those first few weeks after Gordon was born - and so many more from the years that have followed - but the depth of emotion you feel those few hours after your baby's born is something else. I've been extremely lucky to experience that feeling three times in my life and I will never, ever take for granted just how lucky I am. My three healthy, brilliant kids have grown up into young adults who make me proud every day. (OK, so I'm a wee bit high on emotion tonight - but, as I've said before, it's a mother's perogative to be biased when it comes to her children!)
I've just realised that it's past midnight, so this post will be dated the 15th, but it is still the night before Gordon's birthday. Best go wrap his pressie and write his card now; wonder if my poem will be up to his high standard (see earlier post)...?!
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog. I love receiving feedback and comments - even if they're just to say a wee hello! So, I'm looking forward to hopefully hearing from you!