Thursday, 17 February 2011

Not saying much about Caroline

At risk of turning this blog into a ‘Who’s Who’ of my friends, I’m just going to mention very quickly that I had a lovely time catching up with Caroline - my best pal from schooldays - last night. As Caroline is totally averse to all things remotely associated with social networking, she’ll probably never read this, which is probably just as well as she’d probably swear at me.

In respect to Caroline’s view on blogging etc, I’m not going to write a big spiel about what we got up to when we were kids (like this time when we were 14 and we told our parents that we were ‘going into town to do some shopping’ but we actually got on a Celtic supporters’ bus and went to a Rangers v Celtic match at Parkhead with a bunch of complete nut jobs. Caroline got away with it; my Dad sussed out me out, gave me the biggest rollicking ever when I got home then grounded me for what was supposed to be a few weeks but - as Dad was a big softie - lasted only a few days), or about how talented she is (Caroline went to Art School in Glasgow, worked in theatre design along with all sorts of other things, went back to Uni as a mature student to study architecture and is now Project Manager for Andy Scott – you know the guy, the Glasgow artist who sculpted all the amazing figures on the Clackmannanshire roundabouts and the wee kelpies on the canal near Falkirk and the gorgeous Arria on the A80), or about how proud I am of her (for example, for the fact that she went back to Cumbernauld and managed a project that saw Arria being installed in a town where she was told, at school, by a so-called careers advisor that she would never have a career in Art), or about how happy I am for her (because, having had to face up to, and deal with, some big issues and big losses in her life, she’s come out the other end as a shining example to everyone around her with a full and happy life to show for it) and about how she’s another one of my friends that I’d, without question, be lost without.

No, I’m not going to say much about Caroline. Instead, here are some pretty pictures:


6 comments:

  1. Of course your dad sussed you but did he ground you for going to a football match or because you went on the Celtic bus ?!?

    Great to hear that Caroline is doing well - say hello from us when you next see her. I really like Andy Scott's work and The Arria looks great at Cumbernauld.

    And what do career advisors know - if they were any good they would have a real job !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely blog Jane,tell Caroline I was asking for her.Would love to meet her after all these years.Don't think I've seen her since The Spur in Dec 82 :-) Over the years I heard that she lost her Dad and in recent years her partner so I'm glad to hear that shes doing well.

    Billy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha! Definitely both Stevie! Dad was a Rangers supporter, so the thought of me sitting in the Celtic stand was a bit much!

    Will pass on your good wishes Billy - aw, the Spur; happy memories!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi pal, I am sure you could have wrote millions of pages of your exploits with Caroline. I applaud that you managed to get over how much she means to you and how much she has achieved in such few words. Say hello to Caroline for me and I admire the work that she has been involved in. Km xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope Caroline gets to read this Jane................such nice sentiments. It's good that you still get to see her sometimes, I miss Sara so much, we were practically joined at the hip until she left for New Zealand, with a man I introduced her to fool that I am, and like Caroline I can't get her on facebook!!! The pals you have as a teenager are a special breed, say hello from me next time you see her, I knew Andy too at Art School, glad she is doing so well.xx Louise

    ReplyDelete
  6. She did read it back in February Louise and did like it, but just doesn't like the whole social networking thing - and that includes blogs. It's such a shame that Sara's so far away from you - I know how close you were at school and it's lovely to hear that that continued on when we all left. Caroline and I can go months without a catch-up, then it's just as if it was yesterday when we do get together eventually. I'll pass on your good wishes. xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog. I love receiving feedback and comments - even if they're just to say a wee hello! So, I'm looking forward to hopefully hearing from you!