Sunday, 13 February 2011

Showing my appreciation

According to that column over there, only two people officially ‘follow’ my blog. However, I am extremely grateful for the text messages, emails, facebook comments and face-to-face feedback that I often receive - along with the comments posted here - so, I’d like to take this opportunity to thank you all for checking in now and again. I know it shouldn't make any difference, but I just wanted you to know that you’re not alone!

I suppose I got thinking about this when I noticed that the blog counter had passed the ‘1000 hits’ mark. I’m glad I took the plunge and started this blog as it definitely has encouraged me to write more often, but I’m not sure that it’s improving my writing skills?! And I’m not sure that I’m actually sticking to, what started out as, the main purpose of the blog; to make sure I did, and recorded, something constructive or good every day. But, I’m not sure if any of that actually matters. If I enjoy writing it, and at least a few people enjoy reading it, does it matter if I’m not taking the right steps to become the next Helen Fielding or Marian Keyes? I think not.

Sometimes the steps we take on a journey can lead us off the planned path and, consequently, we might never reach our intended final destination. I don’t think that matters. If we spend too long and work too hard and become too focussed on trying to achieve our aims, we’re maybe going to miss something important along the way. If the trip remains fulfilling with a good dollop of fun, we’ll be happier people and surely the last stop will simply take care of itself. I’m not saying it’s not good to have goals, just that the run-up shouldn’t be all consuming.

Anyway, enough of the philosophical clap trap. Basically, I just wanted to say thanks for taking the time to read my efforts on this wee blog. I hope I can keep it up, and I hope you’ll continue to let me know if you’ve liked something I’ve written or, equally, if you think it’s a load of old bollocks. I still feel a bit weird about telling people I write a blog –  I still see it as a bit galas and a bit of a “check me out” kind of thing. (Sorry, you can take the girl out of Cumbernauld, but you’ll never take Cumbernauld out of the girl!) But, I’m also delighted that so many of you do read my ramblings. And I’m especially grateful to those of you whom I’ve never met and don’t know at all; who've just checked in for a peek at the blog and stuck with it.

It makes me feel good to say a heartfelt thanks to you all!

4 comments:

  1. Not philosophical clap trap at all Jane,nicely written,expressive and mind bloggingly good :-)
    Keep it up.

    Regards

    Billy

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's it, I'm now an official follower. That's you up to 3 !!!!!! (Thanks to Gordon for explaining that google was the easy way to do it).

    Keep on blogging missus.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jane, as someone once told me 'It's your blog, write whatever you like' (I've removed the swear words!!)

    Blogs evolve and and always end up different to how you imagined. My WHW blog has/had a defined purpose I stuck to for a couple of years. But my allybea blog is now in its 3rd incarnation. The previous 2 were deleted. The current one is my real voice, the voice I've finally found after going through, well what I've been through. And I love it.

    Are you writing for yourself? Are you writing to get 'followers' or comments? I think if you write for yourself your followers and commenters come with you. Like you, I have loads of people who contact me in other ways to say they like (or dislike ) what I've said. Not everyone is comfortable with making their views public.

    I love your blog. And if I can work out how to be a follower I'll become one!

    Ali xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Billy - so nice to hear from you! I reckon you're bound to be the first person to read my blog from outside the UK! Many thanks for the kind comments.

    Stevie - aw, you've given me the power of three! I can sleep easy in my bed now! Seriously though - thanks for the support pal.

    Ali - if it hadn't have been for your encouragement at the beginning of this year, I probably woulnd't have kept this up. I'm so glad I did and I really appreciate you taking the time to keep dropping by! Looking forward to singing with you sometime soon!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog. I love receiving feedback and comments - even if they're just to say a wee hello! So, I'm looking forward to hopefully hearing from you!