Sunday, 20 February 2011

Cross country in the park

I’ve spent most of this weekend at Callendar Park in Falkirk.

Yesterday I was a spectator and supporter at the National Cross Country Championships. I love the Nationals; runners of all ages, from all over Scotland, battle their way through the mud in all sorts of weather to complete a gruelling course. Gemma and Tola came down from St Andrews to join me running around and cheering our club members on – it was Tola’s first experience of the Milne family at a running event but he didn’t seem too phased by the mad shouting, chasing around, hugging and blethering, so hopefully we haven’t frightened him off! In fact, he very quickly got the hang of it and his “GO CENTRAL” chant could be heard loudly and clearly above the supporters from the other clubs!

Ross had a great race and it was just brilliant to see the hard work and dedication he’s been putting in over these past few months pay off. Alex didn’t have such a great race but, as ever, I was extremely proud of him and, as ever, relieved to see him cross the finish line in one piece! Apart from Ross’s race, the highlight of the day was watching our club’s senior men win the team prize. It’s the first time in the 125 year history of the event that Central AC has won the title, so it was pretty special. Ross is hoping to be part of a winning Central senior team in the years to come!

We were looking back at the stats for the event and found the results from 1982 when Alex, as a youth, came in 17th overall and won a bronze medal as a member of the Shettleston Harriers team. It brought a big fat lump to my throat. Alex was 17 at the time and I’d been going out with him for 2 years. Here we are 29 years later celebrating the fact that our son came in 11th on the same course at the same event!

And, today I was traipsing round the perimeter of Callendar Park helping Alex to survey a boundary wall for the Forestry Commission – all 3 miles of it! We had to fight our way through bushes, jump over burns, clamber over fallen trees and wade through lots of mud. So, I too can say I completed a cross country event this weekend! Not as prestigious a one as the boys completed yesterday, but one which left me just as knackered, just as muddy and just as happy as they were yesterday.

Yup, a good weekend at the park was had by all!

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Sounds like you had quite a weekend! Ross did really well (congratulate him for us) and so did Tola by all accounts. I am sorry we could not make it. It must be an amazing feeling to know Alex and Ross did so well in the same race at the same place so many years apart. You really do wonder nature or nurture. Perhaps its a bit of both. You did well too I wish you had given as a call you could have taken Yoshi round with you (we both love going there and seeing the deer.) It is a lovely place and Alex will do a grand job there. I can't help thinking what a more pleasant environment Callendar park is than my place of work, walls with no windows never knowing if the suns out, if the rain is falling or if indeed its dark.(maybe I should have stayed with the landscape gardening!) However i am sure Alex feels the same some days in the bad weather that it would be nice just occasionally to work somewhere that you don't know what the elements are up to. From your good pal anon xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Makes it sound as if you're locked up in a cell!!! Though maybe the pharmacy can feel like a prison sometimes?!
    And, yup, plenty of days that Alex's at the mercy of the elements. Don't feel too sorry for him though - often it's handy to be the boss and be able to leave the lads geared up in their waterproofs to get on with it, while he comes back to the office to 'do some paperwork' (in other words, sit in our kitchen in front of his laptop drinking tea!)xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog. I love receiving feedback and comments - even if they're just to say a wee hello! So, I'm looking forward to hopefully hearing from you!