Tuesday, 1 February 2011

Another knot undone!

I thought this post would be easy to write as lots of things happened today that made me feel good. However, I’ve been looking at a blank screen for the past 15 minutes or so.  I think it’s because I’m wary of turning this into a ‘this happened, then that happened’ account of those things. So, I’ll just pick one.

It’s Alex’s birthday today (that’s not it), so we went out for a nice meal tonight (that’s not it either) and I had the best Mexican dish ever (neither is that). Just before we left, Gemma phoned (that’s not it) from Dubai to wish her Dad a Happy Birthday. She’s having an ‘awesome time!’ (neither is that) on holiday there with her boyfriend Tola.

Even though we weren’t all together for his birthday, Alex says he’s had one of the best ever because – and this is it – Ross passed his driving test today! Hooray! We’re really proud of him and delighted that he’ll have a bit more freedom (bye, bye little car – it’s been nice knowing you!).  We love where we live but it is a bit out in the sticks so driving makes everything much less of a hassle and, more importantly, means you don’t always have to depend on your old maw and paw to run you here, there and everywhere!

I loved helping to teach both Gemma and Ross to drive, and I’m looking forward to Gordon’s turn next year. I felt exactly the same today as I felt when Gemma passed her driving test;  bursting with pride and extremely happy – but, I must admit,  a wee bit sad too that it’s yet another step in the right direction towards  independence from me and Alex. That’s just as it should be, but there’s no shame in shedding a wee tear when yet another knot in the apron strings comes undone!

3 comments:

  1. Like you we too live out in the sticks - it's about 8 miles to Dunbar which is our nearest town. We don't have kids though but I can understand that anxiety of recognising another of the milestones in the transition from boy to man in your son's case. It must be double edged seeing him and you get older by the same milestones {Er that might come across a bit inconsiderate which isn't what's meant by the way.}

    I bet you have hit it right by recognising that not only has a bit of the wee boy that is your son vanished but a huge chunk of access to the car. My brother has bought 4 cars for his family yet struggles to get a car when he needs to drive anywhere.

    Mexican is one of our favourites too. It sounds like a lot happened that was good yesterday. I hope your husband enjoyed it as much as you clearly did.

    regards......

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Alistair - yup, a great time was had by all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic news! pass on our congratulations to Ross. Also pass on our belated Happy birthday to Alex hope he had a good day. I am only five days behind which is still pretty good for us, thank goodness for your blog!!! km xxxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog. I love receiving feedback and comments - even if they're just to say a wee hello! So, I'm looking forward to hopefully hearing from you!