Friday, 17 June 2011

A well-deserved surprise

There’s something really special about arranging a surprise. Keeping the secret, doing the organising then seeing the reaction of the person you’ve organised the surprise for can be such a rewarding and enriching experience. Tonight I was privileged, along with a fantastic group of friends, to learn of an amazing surprise that has been arranged for a very special person by a very special person. I’m champing at the bit to shout about it, as it’s something just a tad out of the ordinary, but it wouldn’t be appropriate to share any details here. Not at the moment anyway.

So, why am I mentioning it at all? Well, it was just one of those really emotional and pretty unique moments that come along once in a while to remind us how brilliant life can be at times – even in the face of adversity. The people involved tonight have had some pretty harrowing stuff to cope with, but, they pull together, manage to get on with it - and enhance the lives of a whole load of people round about them while they’re at it. It was just fantastic to see them so happy, and so justly rewarded for the positive contribution they make to the lives of many other folk.

It was all a brilliant reminder of the fact that when life gives you a hundred reasons to cry, you should show life that you have a thousand reasons to smile. And that - amongst many other things - is what made me feel really good today.

6 comments:

  1. Feels like a memory to treasure Jane....

    whatever it was.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jane, this really struck a chord with me! Having been through a lot myself recently, having my friends in the choir, some of whom (and one in particular) are among my closest friends now, has been a major source of strength for me. I honestly don't think I'd have had the courage to make such a massive change in my life if I didn't have such an amazing group around me. Keep writing and we'll keep reading! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Al - absolutely! Hope to write about it all in more detail some time soon!

    Katie - thank you so much for taking the time to comment here, and I'm so chuffed that you like reading my wee blog. I think we're so lucky to belong to the choir - sometimes I find in difficult to express how much it means to me. Really nice to hear that you feel the same. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. This all sounds so lovely, Jane! Definitely a time to remember - we don't need to know the nitty gritty details - just knowing of the fact that it happened is a nice, warm thought for us all to share with you! Glad you have some fond memories from this event.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your kind comment Nicky - I agree, sometimes the sentiment's enough without the circumstance!

    ReplyDelete
  6. From FB:

    Jane H: Jane, this is lovely!

    Diane M: Hi Jane that brought a tear to my eye. Just lovely

    Becky: Love your blog, dear. :)

    Dianne: awww, that's braw Jane, greetin' again haha.........what made me smile is the fact that we are no longer "a fantastic group of people"...now we are "a fantastic group of FRIENDS".....give it another couple of months and we will be your " fantastic choir family"....love your blog

    Katie: I had a tear in my eye just reading Diannes comment. Now I'm in full flow. Love your blog Jane

    Meg: This is beautiful.

    Janice: Lovely words - so moving .

    Elaine S: Jane....what a gift you have! You can put into wonderful words what everyone is thinking! Love you blog!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog. I love receiving feedback and comments - even if they're just to say a wee hello! So, I'm looking forward to hopefully hearing from you!