Tuesday, 28 June 2011

Being with my soul mate

Alex and I got married when we were 23 years old – 23 years ago today! We had to settle for a Tuesday as weekend wedding slots at Glasgow University were booked ahead for 5 years solid so, since we couldn’t wait that long for the party, Tuesday the 28th of June 1988 it would have to be!

It was a lovely sunny day. Anyone who remembers the Glasgow Garden Festival will remember how glorious the weather was for most of that summer. Neither of us were, or are, religious in any way, shape or form, but we (fairly hypocritically, I admit) kept the parents smiling by introducing a wee bit of Church of Scotland in to the proceedings: it wasn’t much of a hardship to get married in the stunning University Chapel and my mum’s minister was totally OK with my request for as little religion in the ceremony as possible! I think we had a wee prayer at one point, but that was about it - even our vows were pretty personal and didn’t really have any kind of higher being intruding upon them!

We had a brilliant time. I’ve got such happy memories of the whole day and night, but my favourite moment was the one when just me and Alex were escorted out to the majestic Quad in the heart of the Uni for some photos of just the two of us. While the photographer was sorting out his gear, it was the only time throughout the whole day and evening that Alex and I were completely on our own. The look, the hug, the kiss and the ‘I love you SO much’ were the same then as they’d been the first time back when we were 15 - and they haven’t changed much in the 23 years since (apart from looking at a fair few more wrinkles round the eyes...!). He’s my soul mate, my best mate and the only serious boyfriend I’ve ever had and ever want to have.

Happy Anniversary Alex – I love you SO much!

(this is instead of a card by the way...!)

5 comments:

  1. So much better than a card Jane! I really loved reading this. Greig x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Greig, it's lovely of you to take the time to comment. xx

    And, thank you to everyone for the good wishes and comments posted on FB or sent to me by email. As always, very much appreciated! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy anniversary Jane. Hope you had a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Al. We did indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Comments from FB:

    Margaret F: Happy Anniversary Jane and Alex. A lovely story and you too were very lucky to have met each other at such a young age, without having to kiss lots of frogs and frogesses first. I remember my grandfather making his speech at their Golden ...Wedding Anniversary. He said he had only one regret in life - that he had not met my gran sooner! (they married at 16!).....I hope and wish you two can say the same, so many years on :-)

    Nicola: What a beautiful story of love and romance, congratulations you lucky people, hope you have many many more happy years ahead of you

    Paul McK: That's a beautiful story Jane. Congratulations to you both!

    Debbie: This is so fantastic. I remember you both first getting together way back then and it's awesome to see the magic still there. All the very best to you both and here's to the next 23 years!

    Fi: That's lovely Jane...so nice to see a couple still in love. Here's to many more!!

    Louise: What a lovely story, I too remember you getting together, you are so lucky to still feel the same way, a rarity these days, my daughter is the same age you were and I am praying she meets a few more candidates before settling....maybe I'm wrong! Congrats

    Suzanne: Again, so well written and straight from the heart Jane.

    Karen: Just to say we're were so proud and honoured to take part in that day. You guys were just the same then as you are now and we love being with you guys now as we did then. From your bridesmaid and best man. Here's to the next 23 years (as usual this is instead of a card!!). Happy Happy Anniversary xxx

    Elaine S: Congratulations Jane and Alex.......what a real love story!!

    Mary K: still like a couple of teenagers and always will be even in your 70's ♥ Congratulations

    Billy K: Congratulations ! 23yrs ? you don't look a day over 23 Jane :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog. I love receiving feedback and comments - even if they're just to say a wee hello! So, I'm looking forward to hopefully hearing from you!