Sunday, 12 June 2011

A trip to Achilles Heel

Gemma and I had a trip through to Glasgow to the Achilles Heel running shop today. It was brilliant to have a wee catch up with my friend Katie, who owns the shop.

One of the best things about being involved with the City of Stirling 10k Road Race for a few years was the opportunity to work with some really fantastic people. The event was established in 2001 to raise much-needed funds for Central Athletic Club’s coffers and a great deal of work and organisation was put in by some of the club’s greatest stalwarts to get it off the ground.

I first got caught up in it in 2004 because the club was looking for someone to help out with the entries database, but I soon became quite heavily involved with other aspects of the organisation of the event. Cameron, the Big Daddy of the Stirling 10k, enjoyed the ‘nuts and bolts’ side of things – like setting out the course and helping on the day – but the ‘public face’ part along with the admin were becoming a bit of a bind, especially as the event was becoming bigger and the club were keen to raise its profile further. So, I was privileged to take over the role of Race Director and relished the challenge of things like introducing chip timing, helping to establish a new route, finding new sponsors and meeting the standards required for the Scottish Athletics Road Race Grand Prix and to host the Scottish 10k Championships. I loved being involved with the event and I’m proud of what we achieved while I was at the helm.

One of the best aspects of being involved was the relationship that developed between me and one of the event’s main sponsors. In previous years, various different companies had sponsored the race, but I was keen to attract a good running shop to help raise the profile of the event. Although her shop is through in Glasgow, it made sense to approach Katie Alexander, the owner of Achilles Heel, as our family had been using her shop for our running gear ever since she first opened it back in the year 2000. I can’t remember how that came about – I think Alex stumbled across the first wee shop in a lane off Byres Road one day when he was working through there. He was bowled over by the expert care and attention that Katie had delivered and the shop became a firm favourite for his running shoes from then on. In fact, I don't think Alex has bought a pair of trainers or spikes from anywhere else since then.

Without hesitation, Katie agreed to provide sponsorship and offered all sorts of extra help on top of the much-appreciated necessary financial support. Achilles Heel was the main sponsor of the Stirling 10k (and the concurrent Fun Run till it was, sadly, disbanded) for five years and they played a huge and crucial role in its growing success. I loved it when Katie and her vans rolled up early on the morning of the race each September. Amidst the chaos - loads of volunteers running around setting up barriers, gazebos, loud-speakers, port-a-loos, signs and water stations; marshals being organised; sorting out the trophies; dealing with the police; setting up the band; welcoming the other sponsors; smiling for the Provost; dealing with all sorts of unexpected queries; and lots more – Katie, her extremely knowledgeable partner Paul, her extremely lovely daughter Sam, her extremely handsome shop manager Stefan  and her extremely qualified team of assistants and physiotherapists would calmly set up their stands and gazebos, and bring a totally different, professional and attractive, dimension to the whole event. Plus, the best hugs of the day.

Neither me nor Katie are involved with the race any more, but I still see her and her team regularly as our family still use Achilles Heel for all its running stuff. Even though the shop’s through in Glasgow, we simply won’t go anywhere else. Gemma and I were there today as Gemma’s just getting back in to running after a long spell off and is having various problems with recurring injuries. We were in the shop for ages while Katie and Paul deliberated over the best options for Gemma and her foot pronation problems. All around us, the other members of staff were giving the same care and attention to the customers they were dealing with, taking time to explore any issues and making sure that their trainers were the best fit possible. Katie’s just brilliant. She’s enthusiastic, helpful, knowledgeable and genuinely interested in how your running’s going - whether you’re a serious club runner, jogger or walker - and her staff are just the same.

So - as a small way of saying a big thank you to Katie and her fantastic team for all those years of support, advice and hugs - I’m giving her a wee plug on my wee blog. If you’re looking for a pair of trainers, spikes, ‘fit’ leisure footwear (I swear by the ‘fit-flops’!) or any other type of running gear, and you’d like to be served by someone who’s friendly, patient and knows exactly what they’re talking about, I’d strongly recommend a trip through to Glasgow to Achilles Heel on Great Western Road. After eleven years of going there for many, many pairs of shoes, socks, shorts etc – none of the Milnes have ever been disappointed – I can’t recommend the place highly enough! It was always a pleasure to do that in an official capacity when I was in charge of the 10k – now it’s just lovely to do it as a friend and totally satisfied customer!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog. I love receiving feedback and comments - even if they're just to say a wee hello! So, I'm looking forward to hopefully hearing from you!