Tuesday, 7 June 2011

Singing a wonderful song

When the kids were a bit younger, one of our favourite CDs was the ‘Happy Songs’ compilation, and one of our favourite tracks was ‘What a Wonderful World’ by Louis Armstrong. We always had a laugh trying to impersonate his distinct, and fantastically low, croaky voice and we all loved belting out the “Oooohhh Yeaaaahhhh” at the end. So, it was just brilliant to be learning and singing this truly wonderful and happy song at choir tonight.

It’s always a really nice moment when Annie announces who’s getting to do the solo parts, especially when it’s a member who’s never sung solo before. Everyone’s really supportive and, as soon as the soloists have done their bit for the first time, everyone gives them a resounding clap and a cheer. Every one of the soloists that I’ve heard has been great, highlighting yet another of Annie and Jane’s talents; to perfectly match the song to the voice. Tonight was no different.  The hairs on the back of my neck literally stood on end as the chosen two did their thing. And, I felt tingly all over when the rest of us managed to nail Annie’s carefully arranged harmonies pretty quickly then sing along to produce a pretty special sound all together. What a Wonderful way to spend a Monday evening!

So, singing along to Louis at home will never be the same again; Alex, Ross and Gemma can take the melody while Gordon and I can do our thing with the harmony....must go dig out that ‘Happy Songs’ CD............

3 comments:

  1. What a wonderful blog! Really lovely Jane! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like you and no doubt countless others I love that song too Jane and have many happy memories associated with it from my early years. {back when Methusela was a boy} I wanted to have Louis as my Grandad and have him sing that song while I sat on his chest so I could feel it rumble through me too.

    Music is fabulous and fascinating and there's not a much better feeling than being part of it. You get a very different feel for a piece of music when it's happening all aound you and reverberating through your whole being.

    {sings] Ohhh......Yeaaaahhhh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jane, so lovely to hear from you here! I wouldn't have been able to write the post without your and Annie's hard work - what a wonderful pair of choir masters! xx

    Al, thanks for that - 'Louis as my Grandad!' Just how cool would that have been?!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog. I love receiving feedback and comments - even if they're just to say a wee hello! So, I'm looking forward to hopefully hearing from you!