Wednesday, 15 June 2011

Going on a road trip

I’m off on a road trip today with Gemma. It's been great having her home for the last few weeks since Uni finished, but she’s been accepted for a twelve week summer internship down south and has decided to take her car, so I’m travelling down with her - mainly to keep her company during the long drive down, but also to pay a wee visit to one of my relatives tonight - then I’m flying cheesyjet back home tomorrow. I’ve just waved Gordon off to school, as usual, but I also had to say my goodbyes to Ross as he’s heading off on holiday early tomorrow morning to Club La Santa for a couple of weeks with some of his friends. This next couple of weeks will be a wee taster of what it'll be like in September when Gemma heads back to Uni and Ross moves out to start his course at Strathclyde.

I’m always really pleased to see my kids off doing new and good stuff, but I can’t help missing them, and I don’t think I’ll ever get used to having to say goodbyes when they're leaving for longer than a reasonable amount of time! I always, always do it with a big smile and a big hug and sometimes with a drippy tear too – but the kids know that, as much as I’ll miss them, I’m also happy and proud to see them off making the most of their adult lives.

So, I'm really looking forward to our road trip today: the car’s jam packed with Gemma’s gumph, my overnight bag’s slotted in at the side, the playlist’s sorted – and the tissues are stuffed in my pocket ready for the next goodbye that I’ll have to make later on today...!

3 comments:

  1. Aw, hope you have a great trip Jane!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww pal! Have a good trip with Gemma, say hello to her for us and wish her good luck for the next few weeks, hope Ross has a fab time on holiday and I am sure Gordon will love having you guys all to himself for a change. Catch up soon your Anon pal xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both! Had a lovely trip - am now back in sunny Scotland to a very empty house! x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog. I love receiving feedback and comments - even if they're just to say a wee hello! So, I'm looking forward to hopefully hearing from you!