Monday, 1 October 2012

Thinking about two special people on their birthday

Today would’ve been my Dad and his twin sister’s birthday. They would’ve been 76 today. My dad died nearly 19 years ago, when he was 57, and his sister – my lovely aunt – died just last week.  Although they were twins, they’d always been really different. Apart from the obvious (one was male and the other female), they also had very different personalities and interests. They were also very different in the nature of their death. One died really suddenly, of a massive heart attack, when he was only 57; the other died after a long fight against cancer, when she was 75. Something they were both very alike with was their commitment and dedication to their families. My heart’s aching for my uncle and my cousins, and it’s a really difficult time for my wee mum too. My aunt was one of her oldest and best friends; in fact, my mum and dad would never have met if it wasn’t for their friendship. Ocht, life’s just not fair sometimes!

I had a great night at choir tonight; the band were at rehearsal so that we could all practice together for our up-and-coming concert in the Albert Halls in Stirling (13th of October – if you’re not doing anything that you should come along!) I know I’ve said it so many times before, but it really is amazing how a good sing-song, or even just listening to a favourite piece of music, can lift your spirits.  I was thinking a lot about my Dad and my aunt tonight as something else they had in common was their passion for singing. I always enjoy singing along with my choir buddies on a Monday night but tonight was a real tonic!

So, before I hit the sack, I’ve decided to dig out a recording, from many moons ago, of me singing and Gemma playing the piano. I've decided to post it here as a wee ‘Happy Birthday’ to my Dad and my aunt. It sums up how I feel about Alex, how my Mum felt about my Dad, and how my Aunt felt about my Uncle. Jeeso, poems one post and songs the next! Anyway, here's my way of saying Happy Birthday to two very special people: 



5 comments:

  1. Hi pal was thinking about you, your lovely mum and your family yesterday. Hard times, but they will always be in your heart and be especially close when you sing. They would love your special happy birthday to them. Big hugs your anon pal xxxx



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My anon pal - Always there - so much appreciated xxx

      Delete
  2. So sorry to hear about your auntie, Jane. Thinking about you all lots. Love your song -you have an incredible voice - you will make your family so proud at the Bertie! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's such a compliment coming from you Mair! Thank you so much - and for your kind wishes. I'll miss you at the Bertie - how dare your brother decide to get married that day!! :) xx

      Delete
  3. From FB:

    Katie: That's lovely Jane! It's always good to remember xx

    Andy: That's brilliant Jane! I'm sure everyone this has been dedicated to would be so chuffed. I loved it, well done.xx

    Elaine: That was lovely Jane. Was thinking about you yesterday. Take care. Xx

    Tracey: Beautiful xxxx

    Shona: That was lovely Jane. So sorry to hear about your Aunt - big hug xx

    Jane: Thank you all so much. xx

    Dinah:That was really really lovely x

    Elaine S: Jane....thinking about you and your family! <3

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog. I love receiving feedback and comments - even if they're just to say a wee hello! So, I'm looking forward to hopefully hearing from you!