Wednesday, 19 September 2012

Being off key but not put off

This week’s been a bit crazy so far, but in a really good way. My head’s buzzing with everything that I’ve been doing on the course, but I’ve had other things going on that’ve also made it a great week, such as an exciting wedding rehearsal and a lovely meal out with two special friends. But there was a particular wee thing that happened on Monday night that really made me feel great.

After coming home from Uni, I went to a rehearsal for my friends’ wedding before rushing on to choir. I was totally hyper by the time I arrived at choir – I’d been all excited about starting my course in the morning, had had a busy day at Uni, had rushed to do some work work when I got home, flew out the door to get to the wedding venue on time, had a really lovely time with Tracey and Dave (the bride and groom), had got all excited when the minister gave me my instructions for the cue to read my poem on Saturday, then jumped back into the car and flew off to choir so that I would catch the last half of rehearsal. 

Consequently, I probably had a fair amount of adrenalin pumping through me by the time I hurried into Cambusbarron church to the sound of the choir singing ‘Feeling Good’. As I made my way down the aisle, Annie signalled for me to join the other soloists. I rushed up to the front and got there just in time to belt out the first line of the verse that I’ve to sing.
And I was completely off key. And I just carried on. And I seemed to get it together for the rest of it. And it was OK to get it wrong. And it probably sounds daft, but that’s what made me feel great.  

I’ll probably always feel nervous singing on my own at choir, but there was something really good about getting it wrong, and it being OK to get it wrong. Ocht, I’m thinking that folk’ll be reading this and thinking “what the hang’s she on about?!”  I’m probably not explaining it very well. I think I’m just trying to say that it made me feel good that I didn’t feel horrible getting it wrong. It’s a lot to do with being in amongst good friends, but I think it’s also a lot to do with chasing off the ‘the world’s going to be a horrible place if you hit a bum note’ gremlins! 

 I guess we all hit bum notes with all sorts of things at times, but it’s great when the odd bum note doesn't spoil the tune. I think that’s what I’m trying to say.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks pet. Just that thing that we're always saying; we can't get it right all the time, and sometimes getting it wrong can turn out to be a good thing :)) xxxxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog. I love receiving feedback and comments - even if they're just to say a wee hello! So, I'm looking forward to hopefully hearing from you!