Friday, 30 March 2012

My kids

It’s ages since I last wrote a post for my own wee blog that hasn’t simply been copied and pasted from my Vodafone placement blog. However, I’ve been sitting out in the sun for a wee while this afternoon (yes, you did read that right; sitting out in the sun, in Scotland, in March...) as I had an early finish at the hospice and chilling out at home has somehow put me right in the mood for jotting down a quick wee spiel here.

The house is busy, loud and lively at the moment! Gemma and Ross are both back from Uni for the Easter holidays and, aw man, it’s brilliant! I love it when the kids are all about; they’re obviously not in the house all the time, but they come home after they’ve been out, and that’s just great. It’s especially great when the three of them have been out together and I love that Gemma, Ross and Gordon are such good pals.

Last weekend me and Gordon were singing at a CHAS fundraising lunch in the conservatory at Airth Castle. I was supposed to be joining some of my choir friends at the lunch itself but I’d, unfortunately, eaten a dodgy prawn the night before. (I did have a fair few glasses of wine too, but I’m positive it was the prawn that did it. Alex and the kids may well beg to differ, but it’s my blog and I’ll say what I want to...). I missed the lunch but it would take more than a dodgy prawn to make me miss out on singing with the choir! Gemma and Ross ran us through to Airth then went off for a pint in a local beer garden while we were singing. It was a really lovely event - organised by popular choir member Elaine Smith - and it was just great to be back doing a wee gig again. That was the first since Falkirk Town Hall and I didn’t realise how much I’d missed putting on a red top! When the gig was done, Gemma and Ross picked us up and we headed back to Stirling to meet up with Alex at the cinema. I was still feeling a bit fragile, so Alex and I decided to have a quiet afternoon out in the garden. Before we left, I stood and watched the kids as they wandered off across the car park full of chit-chat. I couldn’t help it; I had to do that embarrassing mother thing of shouting at them to stop so’s I could take a quick photo. Ocht, it was one of those wee moments that I just had to capture:


They do, of course, sometimes argue and they do, of course, sometimes bug each other, but they very rarely fall out. I hardly ever see my brother, and we never really know much about what’s going on in each other’s lives. Somehow I don’t think that’s going to be the case for the Milne crew – and that makes me feel really good.

....and I've just noticed the message on Gemma's top in the photo. Couldn't be more apt!!

4 comments:

  1. Awww...sweet crew you've got there, Jane! My kids are good friends, too and it does my heart good to see them grow their friendships as they get older. I can definitely see how having them home could make you feel good today! Cheers :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rebecca
    Thanks for that. I know your kids are good friends from reading your blog - and lovely kids they are too! We're both very lucky! :))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Their smiling but I'm sure I can hear them go "Aw Muuum!"....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahaha - absolutely right! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog. I love receiving feedback and comments - even if they're just to say a wee hello! So, I'm looking forward to hopefully hearing from you!