Tuesday, 19 April 2011

Sang my kind of songs

At last, I’ve found the singing group in Stirling that I’ve been looking for! I collected Gordon from a concert at the Albert Halls (not THE Albert Hall; Stirling’s Albert Halls) a few weeks ago and, when he got in the car, he was full of how much he’d enjoyed the evening. He turned to me, after raving about how fantastic the show had been, and said, “You know how you’re always going on about finding a choir in Stirling that’s full of nice people and sings good, modern songs? Well, I think I’ve just found you one!”.

So, off we both trotted last night - feeling a bit nervous I must admit - to our first rehearsal with The Heart of Scotland Choir. I know this’ll sound a bit corny but you know how sometimes you go along to something and you just know instantly that it’s going to become a big part of your life? Well, that’s exactly how I felt last night. Me, Gordon and the rest of the new choir members walked in the door to a warm welcome from the lovely Annie and her equally lovely sister Jane, who founded the choir back in October last year. They explained how the choir has grown in both strength and numbers and, in turn, has become so much more than just a group of like-minded people getting together to enjoy making music. They explained that it’s also become a wee friendly, supportive community – and I definitely saw that in action when the ‘seasoned’ members arrived for rehearsal a short while later.  Everyone was so warm in their welcomes and it wasn’t too long before both Gordon and I felt completely at ease in amongst our new friends!

As for the singing, well, what can I say?! You might remember how much I enjoyed going along to another singing group a few months ago, but the old Burns and other traditional songs just weren’t really doing it for me. Last night the first new song that Annie (whose enthusiasm is totally infectious) taught us was Coldplay’s ‘Fix You’ - which is one of our family’s favourites! It’s usually belted out on the way home in the car from some night out or another (“...lights will gu –i –i -ide you home...”) so Gordon and I were in our element! Having said that, some bits were a bit tricky as I kept lapsing in to just singing the tune that I know so well! However, with the help of some of the more experienced members of the lower harmony section, I started to get the hang of it and I couldn’t believe how quickly it all came together. I thought it sounded great, especially after such a short time practising, and the old endorphins were definitely back in action! I had a thoroughly great time and cannot wait to go back next week. Mon the choir!

2 comments:

  1. Your evening sounds just wonderful Jane - how great that Gordon managed to find the group for you! Sounds just perfect. Can't wait to hear further updates.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Nicky. It really was a great evening and, yup, I'm sure the choir will crop up in future posts!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog. I love receiving feedback and comments - even if they're just to say a wee hello! So, I'm looking forward to hopefully hearing from you!