Friday, 15 April 2011

Dear Green Place

Gemma’s wee car had to go into the Smart garage in Glasgow today so, since she’s still down in London at her JP Morgan insight week, and since Alex had a few jobs to see in Glasgow, we took a wee jolly through. I love Glasgow. It’ll always be special because it’s where my dad was born and raised, it’s where Alex and I went to University, it’s where we first lived together, it’s where we were married and it’s somewhere we’ve spent many happy times with many good friends over the years. I especially love the West End - as that’s where the University is - but I just think that Glasgow, in general, is a lovely, friendly and beautiful place (well, most of it anyway!).

We moved from Glasgow to Stirling in 1990 because of a change in our work circumstances. At that time we thought we’d move back at some point, however, we settled really quickly in to the Stirling area and Glasgow soon became a nice – and nostalgic - place to visit, rather than somewhere we wanted to live.

Ross is heading off to one of ‘the other’ universities in Glasgow – Strathclyde – in September and I’m sure he’ll enjoy everything that living and studying in the city has to offer. He’s only just sorted out his accommodation, so Alex and I fitted in a wee look while we were through today.  The block he’s staying in is a five minute walk from the Business School (where he’s going to be studying International Business), and it’s a stone’s-throw from the hip-and-trendy Merchant City. Perfect!

I’m delighted that Ross is going to be a student in Glasgow but he does face one major drawback; poor soul will have to put up with his auld maw and paw harping on about their student days in the Dear Green Place – and they certainly could tell him a thing or two about how to enjoy student life! Hm, on second thoughts, maybe I’ll just keep schtoom and not give too much of that away.....!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog. I love receiving feedback and comments - even if they're just to say a wee hello! So, I'm looking forward to hopefully hearing from you!