I was in my favourite wee coffee shop, Cisco's, with Gemma this morning. I wrote about Cisco’s back in January on the day of Angela’s funeral (Learning from Angela) but I’ve not been in to Cisco's for a while and it was lovely to see David (the owner) just getting on and doing his thing; no matter when I pop in, there’s always a welcoming cheery smile from him and the rest of the staff behind the counter. It’s always an added bonus if one of ‘the girls’ (David’s sisters) are around too and today I was in luck! Maria was there and it was just great to share a wee hug, ‘hello’ and catch-up. Maria read the most amazing eulogy at Angela’s funeral and I’ll never forget the courage and compassion she displayed that day. I was also deeply touched this morning when she told me that her and the rest of the family were able to draw a little bit of comfort from reading my tribute to Angela and that she 'shows it to everyone'. It’s the first time that I’ve felt this blog has served any kind of useful and meaningful purpose, other than making me feel good. I’m proud, and humbled, by the fact that doing something I love - writing – has helped the lovely Tortolano family, even if it is only in a tiny wee way.
Another way that folk, in general, can help the family (and others like them) is by supporting them in supporting the hospice where Angela spent her last days. Angela herself raised lots of money for Strathcarron while she was a patient there, and thousands of pounds were raised at the collection following her funeral. Some of the girls who work in Cisco’s are running this year’s Women’s 10k in Glasgow in memory of Angela and to raise even more funds for the hospice. There’s a sponsor sheet lying on the counter of the cafe and, this morning, the guy in the queue in front of me filled in the form then handed over £100! I couldn’t quite stretch to that much but, every penny counts, and my small contribution, I know, will be appreciated just as much. I’ve actually seen that first hand at the hospice; when I’m helping out on the reception desk and someone calls in with a donation, just as much thanks and appreciation is shown to the lady who is handing in £10 as is shown to the man who is handing in £1000.
So, if you happen to be in Stirling between now and the 8th of May, and you fancy supporting a very good cause while enjoying a cuppa in a lovely wee friendly cafe, I'd recommend that you pop into Cisco’s in Port Street! The staff will be delighted to see you and, if you fill in the form on the counter, you’ll be helping the many people who benefit from the special care that Strathcarron Hospice gives to those who are terminally ill. I can also guarantee that you’ll be doing it all while enjoying the best cup of coffee that Stirling has to offer!
What a beautiful post today! I loved reading the "Learning from Angela" too. Thank you for your kindness in volunteering at the hospice - that is a truly wonderful gift to give.
ReplyDeleteThanks Nicky. To be honest, I get much more from working there than I actually give. Such a great place full of lovely people. Hope all's well across the pond!
ReplyDelete