Nicola Sturgeon, a "working class girl from Ayrshire", made history today when she became the first female to head the government of our wee country. I loved the speech she delivered to the Scottish Parliament this afternoon. Not because of any political leaning I might or might not have, but because she made it so eloquently clear that she wanted to...
..."send a strong, positive message to girls and young women, indeed to all women, across our land - there should be no limit to your ambition for what you can achieve...the sky is the limit and no glass ceiling should ever stop you from achieving your dreams..."
She said lots of other things that I liked, like:
"I intend to lead a government that is bold, imaginative and adventurous. I know that there will be tough decisions to be made, and I might not always get them right - it's not the case that all manner of things shall be well - I will meet challenges, but I will strive to meet them positively and with fortitude. And I know that I will be inspired and sustained each and every day by the potential of this country and by the people who live here."
A woman at the helm in the Scottish Government, surrounded by many other women on all sides of the political divide - that's what's making me feel good today.
Well said Jane. It sends a real positive message to women everywhere that the can achieve anything they set out to if they work hard and believe in themselves
ReplyDeleteInteresting times for sure. I wish her well. {But then, would you expect anything less from a card carrying Nat!}
ReplyDeleteWell said. Good to hear from you again.
Great for girls and women for sure - and also just good for ordinary folk from working class backgrounds too. I sincerely wish her well in the job - but maybe that's my politics showing just a wee bitty! :-D
ReplyDelete