Tuesday, 5 November 2013

The Choir

Anyone who reads this wee blog regularly will know that I don't just wear my heart on my sleeve; I broadcast it loudly and pin it up in neon lights. It's not a new thing: poor Alex's thunder was stolen on our wedding day, 25 years ago, when I interrupted him at the end of his speech by standing up and giving an impromptu emotional spiel about how lucky I felt, how much I loved my groom and how grateful I was for everything my mum and dad had done for me and for having me in the first place! Our kids will have also all have many a tale to tell of times when their auld maw's mouth has gone into overdrive! Sometimes I just can't help it, especially when I'm feeling particularly emotional.

Last night was a case in point. If you look at the 'labels' on my wee blog you'll see that 'Heart of Scotland Choir' looms large on the list, which is testament to how often I've written about how good being a member of the choir makes me feel. So, it was with a fairly heavy heart that I headed off last night to my last choir rehearsal, not just the last rehearsal before our next concert, but my last rehearsal. Our lovely choir mum, Ray, eloquently said recently that the choir has an 'ebb and a flow' (a bit like life really), with the heart of it rolling on strong while people come and go. And now it's just my time, for various reasons, to have to go. I always feel sad when any of my friends leave the choir, so it was fairly predictable that I'd be feeling a bit emotional during my own last rehearsal. Having said that though, I absolutely loved it! It was the last rehearsal before our annual concert in the Albert Halls (in Stirling) and the 'Bertie Buzz' was very much in evidence! Rehearsing with the band is always brilliant, but last night there just seemed to be a different level of 'Bertie Buzz-iness' than usual. I had an absolute blast and, even though I was a bit weepy at times, my heart was well and truly lifted. I'm really looking forward to the concert and it'll be a night when the loss of choir members through choice, or through other things in their life taking priority, or for a multitude of other reasons will all be put into perspective when we sing our hearts out in memory of Laurie, our choir dad who left us earlier this year through absolutely no choice of his own. I'm obviously biased, but it promises to be a great night - and it would be great to see you there! Tickets are on sale from 'The Albert Halls' in Stirling online! (Might as well get one last plug in...!)

At the end of the rehearsal Annie emotionally announced to the choir that the rehearsal had been the last for three of us: me, Greig (the man in the hat with the golden voice of Boo's Band fame) and Mair (flautist and singer extraordinnaire, who was one of the favourites with Day Care patients at the hospice). Listening to Annie as she thanked us and told us how much we'd be missed made me cry some more and then (I can actually see my kids cringing as they read this...) ocht, I did that thing of standing up and saying how much the choir had meant to me and how much I'd miss everyone and how grateful I was for everything and I said I was sure Greig and Mair felt the same... it wasn't enough to say how I felt, I even pulled Mair and Greig into it too!

So, to Annie, I'm sorry for butting in on you! I have form...! And, to my choir family, I'm sorry for holding you back at the end of a long rehearsal! But, I'm not sorry for telling you all that I'll miss you, and that I'm so very grateful for every single memory and 'feel-good' moment you've given me during these past few years (present and previous members included!). Thank you all - and see you at the Bertie on Saturday!!

3 comments:

  1. Lovely Jane XxX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. (I don't know who you are as you've come to me listed as anonymous, but thank you xx)

      Delete
  2. From FB:

    AH: Aw that's lovely Jane! Having a wee blub after reading that lol - we'll miss you honey xx

    AMcL: Have a blast on Saturday Jane ~ All the best for your future ~ x x

    AS: xx

    KTA: That's lovely Jane. Gonna be emotional on Saturday.... xxx

    DH: We really will miss you Jane, especially the "low ladies", but whatever you have next on your agenda I'm sure you'll shine! xx

    MF: Enjoy Saturday Jane, soak it all up. Good luck to you in all your future ventures x

    LB: That was a lovely (and teary!) read Jane. I wish you well with whatever you do. I'm gutted I can't make it along to see everyone on Saturday but I'm sure you will all be as impressive as every other performance!

    LS: Och , that will make Saturday night even more special then! See you then Jane.. Xx

    JS: Enjoy your last "Bertie " night , Jane xx

    JM: Thank you all so much for your lovely comments xx

    EMcC: Awww I could fill a bath with the tears running down my cheeks at the moment, such a lovely blog, by a lovely person! you'll really be missed

    JM: Cheer up - so many lovely people in the choir to keep on singing along with you and your awesome voice! I'll miss you too, but will be keeping up with everyone and cheering you on from the audience next time around :))

    AW: Gutted you're going Jane

    JM: I'll look forward to that wee duet we're going to do in some empty castle or another sometime soon! Mind give me a shout next time! In the meantime, we've got singing together at the Bertie to look forward to!

    AW: Can't wait for both

    MT: Aww that's lovely Jane. The Heart of Scotland Choir will always be very special to me too. We're gonna sing our hearts out on Saturday! x

    KMR: Awww jane!!! Thats lovely. Made me cry, we will all really miss you and your amazing voice! You are genuinely one of the loveliest people I have ever met and really hope you keep in touch xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog. I love receiving feedback and comments - even if they're just to say a wee hello! So, I'm looking forward to hopefully hearing from you!