I arrived at Strathcarron with a heavy heart as I’d recently
been told that one of the hospice’s very special patients had died. Every
patient at Strathcarron is special – that’s one of the things I love about the
place – but it can be particularly difficult for hospice staff when the patient
who’s died is someone who was well known and well loved long before they ever became
a patient. For that reason, I had very mixed feelings about standing up in
front of the staff to talk animatedly about how successful my little music
project had been. Part of me just felt it somehow wasn’t appropriate to do that
today but, after giving it some thought - and after considering how much this
particular patient had benefitted from music during their stay in the hospice,
and how much their family had encouraged and supported me (through their
positive comments and willingness to appear on my feedback video), and how much
this patient had wanted other patients to benefit in the same way as they had
(by buying their own MP3 player so that they weren’t ‘depriving’ some other patient),
and how many times during our wee chats that this particular patient’s sense of
humour and sense of humility had bowled me over – I came to the tentative conclusion
that me talking today about something that they’d gained some pleasure from
during their illness was something that they would hopefully have approved of.
So, talk I did. And I’m glad I did. The staff couldn’t have been more effusive in their support and in their agreement that basic music therapy should continue to have a place in the care package offered at Strathcarron. It was, understandably, a much more emotional affair than the last overview presentation, but I still think it was the right decision to go ahead with it.
To top it all, my lovely boss Kirsty stood up at the end and said some really nice things. Then, the rest of the Patient and Family Support Team – my colleagues for the past 4 months – stood up and presented me with a bunch of really special gifts. The very best pressies are always the ones that have been bought, or made, with a very personal touch and each of these gifts had the personal touch by the bucket load: a beautiful bunch of bright flowers; a personalised mug with ‘Strathcarron Myriad of Music Thank You Jane’ inscribed on it, an absolutely delicious cake (baked by the lovely Jenny) with ‘Thank You for the Music’ iced on top; and a CD. But not just any old CD; a ‘mixed tape’ CD made up of tracks chosen for me by every department in the hospice. There I go again, welling up every time I think about it all. Aw man, I had the CD belting out all the home way home in the car – I love it. It includes tracks such as ‘ Shine’ chosen by the Domestic Team; ‘Sunshine Girl’ chosen by the OT; ‘I’ve Got the Music in Me’ by Cara, one of my team members; ‘Thank You For The Music’ by the Management Team and ‘Sing’ – my favourite and even more special as it was chosen by Kirsty, my amazing manager. That’s me off again..... I felt sad at times today, but what made me feel great was being reminded of the simple thing that's made working alongside such a lovely, lovely bunch of people for the past 4 months so special. They care – all of them – on a very personal level. And what better gift is there to give...?
Wow, what beautiful gifts they gave you! I have tears in my eyes just reading about them. very special, Jane. So sorry to hear that one of the lovely patients died. that must've been so difficult for everyone. But how lovely knowing what a special role you and everyone else played in their life when it mattered most to them.
ReplyDeleteThanks so much Nicky. I do feel extremely privileged to have played a small part in helping this particular patient during these past few weeks. And yesterday's events have definitly given me added impetus to seek out more funding! More begging letters here I come...!
ReplyDeleteSorry Jane - was going to leave a comment but will have to dash to see the doc about a wee lump in my throat........
ReplyDelete