It’s always nice to crawl into your own wee bed when you
come back from your holidays – but I was expecting my own wee bed to be a good wee bit
warmer when I crawled into it at four o’clock this morning! Jeeso, this must be
the coldest and wettest summer ever here in Scotland! (...I must be getting
old; just back from a lovely week away and all I can talk about is the weather!...)
Just for the record though, the weather wasn’t brilliant in
Lanzarote either! It wasn’t anything like as hot and sunny as it normally is
when we go. I mean, there’s always a good breeze from the sea and it’s usually
a bit overcast in the morning, but usually that all clears up by mid-morning
and the sun splits the heavens for the rest of the day. This year, however, there
was a lot more cloud and a lot more wind; but it wasn’t anywhere even remotely
close enough to put a dampner on our holiday!
Moving swiftly on from the weather report (...I’m definitely
getting old...), we had a really great time but, as usual, it just went by far
too quickly. I’ve
written about Club La Santa before on my wee blog, and I’m sure this post’ll
not be the last one about our favourite holiday destination either. We just
love it there. I never used to understand why folk would want to spend their
holidays in the same place, year in year out, but within a couple of days in to
our first holiday at La Santa – over six years ago – I finally got it. Whether
it’s Largs, Limasol or La Santa; if it’s somewhere that makes your whole family
feel good, then why not keep going back? It doesn’t mean that we don’t love visiting
other places but, when it comes to arranging our ‘main’ holiday, we just always
seem drawn back to La Santa.
It’s a sports resort with, what is they say in the
brochures; ‘comfortable’ basic accommodation! It’s definitely not somewhere you
go if you’re looking for luxury, but it’s definitely somewhere you go if you
want to do loads of sporty stuff. I use the term ‘loads’ loosely of course,
depending on whether I’m referring to me or one of the more sporty members of
my family! For example, the extent of my sportiness consisted of doing ‘gymnastics’
every morning at 8am (forget Olga Korbut; this is basically a wee stretch
routine down by the pool set to relaxing music), followed by a long walk then a
few games of tennis and badminton during the day with the occasional low-level class
(such as ‘Stretch and Relax’) chucked in for good measure in between some
serious sunbathing by the side of the leisure pool. My arm was also twisted into
competing as part of a team with Alex in the aquathlon, so I nearly killed
myself swimming (my best breast stroke!) 400m of the Olympic pool. I was second
last out of the water, but fortunately I’m married to a man who can run! Alex
sped past all the folk who’d had much better swimmers in their teams and Team Milne
actually managed to take the winning spot. It’s just a bit of fun really, but I
miss all the running and other high impact sport that I used to do, so – as much
as I moaned my face off about how knackered I was after the swim – it was great
to feel that I could still contribute something to Team Milne at La Santa!
 |
| "Whose bloody idea was this...?!" |
My crazy husband and sons’ holiday was, in contrast, much
more active than mine. It’s not surprising that Alex’s lying here on the couch
beside me, dozing, after a week that included a 10k race, a duathlon, a running
leg of an aquathlon, a half marathon, a cycling leg of a mini triathlon, a 12
mile off road run, lots of racquet sports, a few swims, a few more runs and a
couple of, em, morning walks (keeping his more sedate auld wife company). The thing
is though, doing all that stuff isn’t all that crazy when you’re over there, when you're carried
away in the La Santa spirit of things, and you're in amongst a whole big bunch of
other, like-minded crazy folk!
 |
| Running... |
 |
| ...cycling... |
 |
| ...team work... |
 |
| ...carbo loading...! |
I love being chief supporter at all the events and, ocht, I just love being part of the whole Club La Santa thing. I must admit though, I do wish it
didn’t have such a naff name so that it didn’t sound like some mad clubbing
resort for Spanish Father Christmas’s.
So, that’s our main summer holiday over, and I’m sitting
here by the fire (in July!!) feeling happy to be home with another bundle of lovely
La Santa memories to hold on to. Our next wee break is in a couple of weeks
time; a long weekend in another - much closer to home - favourite place, St
Andrews. Like I said, whether it’s St Andrews or La Santa; if it’s somewhere
that makes you feel good, it’s definitely worth re-visiting time and again...
Wow, not exactly a "relaxing" holiday then! But it sounds like it was lots of fun, I've never even heard of the sports resort thing before. Looks like the men in your family had a great time! Love the carb-loading photo :)
ReplyDeleteSure was lots of fun Nicky - and believe it or not, a relaxing holiday too! Maybe just a different kind of relaxing! It's a great resort - here's the link to the site if ever you fancy a trip! www.clublasanta.co.uk
DeleteHullo Jane. I love Lanzarote - we had a timeshare there in Puerto Del Carmen old town for many years and went regularly in summer. I know what you mean about the wind {and the heat}
ReplyDeleteI liked the oldy feel of much of the more out of the way places {thanks to Cesar Manrique} and loved some of the caves etc and the national park eerie landscapes. Our holidays were much more sedate with some touring and driving to those wee out of the way places.
These days I seem to have moved my affections to France but you're right it's nice to be ina place that makes you feel good every day!!!
Welcome home. {Dig oot the wellies!}
It's nice to hear from someone who shares a love of Lanzarote! So often, folk seem to think that the touristy resorts close to the airport in Arecife are all that exist in that lovely wee Canary Isle. I love Manrique's art, and I'm so glad that he's had such a big influence on the architecture and lay out of the buildings on the island. We didn't do any touring around inland this year, but have thoroughly enjoyed doing that when we've had more time in the past.
DeleteWellies have been well and truly dug oot!