Tuesday, 29 May 2012

Holding on to my high

I've had a really lovely day today. I was still on a high, after last night's amazing choir rehearsal, when I met a special pal this morning for breakfast. Karen was as attentive and enthusiastic as ever as I rambled on, very animatedly, about how awesome the rehearsal had been (which she already knew because she's not only my very special friend, she's probably the most faithful follower and regular commenter on my blog. You would maybe recognise her as my 'anon' friend as she, very early on, gave up on trying to work out the wonders of the Blogger commenting set-up and decided to remain 'anon' instead!). We did manage to squeeze in a good blether about other stuff, with some tears and laughter in between, but choir took up a fair chunk of the chit-chat! So, the birthday breakfast to start to my day was really lovely. Thank you my very special anon pal!

Lunch was great too. For Mother's Day this year, back in March, Gordon gave me a wee hand-written voucher that entitled me to a celebration lunch out with him after we'd both finished trying to lose a bit of weight. We've both finished trying to lose a bit of weight, and he's off school as his exams finished last week, so it was time to redeem my voucher! Gemma came along too and we had a really lovely, chatty lunch. Thank you Gordon!

Gemma and Gordon after stuffing ourselves at lunch!

Then, as if that wasn't enough to make my day perfect, we finished the afternoon off in absolutely glorious style at a concert in a very special place featuring a very special bunch of folk. The Church of the Holy Rude in Stirling, as I've mentioned in previous blog posts, was the site of our wee business's first 'proper' contract - way back in 1989 - not long after Alex had decided to set up his own stonemasonry business. Over the years since, Alex's carried out various bits and pieces of restorative works there and, my favourite bit of all, was asked to cut a plaque in the floor of the church to commemorate the crowning of King James VI. The plaque was unveiled by the Queen at a special ceremony in 1997, to which my favourite stonemason was invited along to. I remember being so very proud of Alex - as I still am - and it's a time-honoured tradition that if I'm in the Holy Rude I have to go and have a wee look at the plaque. It's not going anywhere, but it never fails to make me feel good that it's still there. The kids were mortified when I told them to sit down beside it for a photo, but it's essential to keep up that time-honoured tradition of embarrassing your kids at every opportunity... !


The special bunch of folk that we'd come to see in concert was the very same special bunch of folk that came along to our rehearsal last night. I can't think of a better setting for the beautiful voices that make up the Maryville College Choir. The cheers and applause that filled the church was a just reflection of their awesome performance. I'm fast running out of superlatives to describe this incredible choir, so I'll finish with a few photos and a wee video instead. The video's one that I'll always treasure; at the end of the concert, Stacey (the lovely choir leader), invited all of the Heart of Scotland members in the audience to come up and join them for their last song. It was a Benediction and I didn't have a clue what the words were or how it went. I'm probably the least religious person I know, but that doesn't stop me appreciating the beauty of the buildings that are built in the name of religion or the type of music that's traditionally sung or played in them. And, wild horses wouldn't have stopped me from accepting the invitation from our special new friends to join them in their special song at the close of their concert. It was such a poignant and lovely end to a really lovely day. And, although I'm not at all religious, I really did feel today - in my own way - blessed.

The rear of the choir!
Maryville's finest in their finest

12 comments:

  1. It was wonderful, wasn't it? We've been very lucky - of all the choirs they could have contacted, it was ours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely Scot. I've just been browsing their photographs of the performance this morning in The Great Hall; Alex served most of his 3 year apprenticeship in that beautiful space. Can't quite believe our luck that they connected with Jane!

      Delete
  2. Absolutely amazing!! What a privilege to sing along with them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will never forget it Mair. I'd been in tears most of the way through their concert, then I couldn't stop smiling the whole way through that last part. So lucky that I'd taken the day off - wish everyone could've been there. xx

      Delete
  3. Jane, you know, I realy like reading your blogs! If each one of us, like you, took time to realy reflect on what made us happy each day! We would all be a lot more happy with what we have! Xx
    Lv Dinah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you so much Dinah. That really means a lot to me as it totally sums up what the blog's all about. Life isn't always great, and lots of bad stuff happens - but there's always sunshine somewhere behind the rain. It's not always easy to find it, but there's no harm in trying to seek it out! xx

      Delete
  4. Amazing! You're on a real high right now, Jane - how wonderful for you. The singing brought tingles to my spine again. Glad you had a great lunch and outing with Gemma and Gordon. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure am Nicky. These past few months have been incredible for me and I'm just loving making the most of every single minute! xx

      Delete
  5. Jane I haven't been a regular follower of your Blog.However,It's for no reason other than I am not a big user of the computer or face book etc. On the occasions when I do read it though, I really enjoy your observations and stories you are an eloquent writer with a heart felt way of putting your thought's and observations about everyday life into words.

    As you say Monday night choir practice was fab and yesterday in the beautiful church of the Holy Rude it was magical. Like you I am not a religious person but I was spiritually moved in my own way, by yesterday's performance. At the risk of sounding a bit gushy which is so not me. "Unless it's over my grand children"

    There was a real connection with the MC choir and I think all of us who met them felt it in some way. It's wonderful how music unites people. You more than most know that with the great work you do for Strathcarron Hospice. It was nice to meet your daughter Gemma what a lovely girl.
    Keep writing. Although I don't follow your Blog regularly I really enjoy it when I do, and usually spend about an hour catching up on what I've missed.

    Susan Kerr

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you so much Susan. What a lovely message to leave here. I totally agree - it really was magical, and really difficult to express in words. I'm so touched that you thought I'd managed to do that OK.
      Gemma really loved meeting you and Margaret too - she's always bowled over by just how lovely the choir folk are!
      Thanks again Susan - and mind give that hug to that lovely daughter of yours from me! xx

      Delete
  6. Well - you know SNB!

    Six degrees of separation on that one

    http://crivensjingsandhelpmaboab.blogspot.co.uk/2010/11/visitors-and-virtual-friends.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOW!!! I've just read your post - cannot believe that you and SNB were blogging friends then met in the flesh!!
      I met him in the blogosphere for the first time and it turned out we had a mutual friend that I went to Uni with (many moons ago..), then it turned out that we'd been part of the same singing group - and now we're both members of the same choir. It certainly is a very, very small world...

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog. I love receiving feedback and comments - even if they're just to say a wee hello! So, I'm looking forward to hopefully hearing from you!