One of the reasons I’ll probably never make it as a real writer is that I don’t have the vocabulary to describe the awesome things that happen in my life in a ‘proper’ writer way. I’m sitting here at the end of one of the most amazing nights ever and I’m thinking, ‘how do I record this on my wee blog without it sounding like I’m being a bit over the top about how totally fantastic and special a night that was?’
But I can’t. So, I won’t try. I’ll just write it, as usual, straight from the heart. And it’ll probably sound like I’m exaggerating. But I’m not.
We were joined at choir rehearsal tonight by the Maryville College Choir from Tennessee and it was just such a special experience. I’m not kidding; it comes way up amongst the top of my list of ‘best Monday nights ever!’ The Maryville College Choir leader – the lovely Stacey – had contacted one of our choir leaders – the lovely Jane – via Facebook a while ago, after watching the Heart of Scotland Choir version of ‘Flower of Scotland’ on Youtube. A connection was made, a ‘virtual’ friendship was born, one thing lead to another and the next thing we knew we were getting told that our ‘American friends’ were going to be joining us at rehearsal while they were over here in Scotland on tour.
Now, the Maryville College Choir from Tennessee is made up of a large group of 18 to 30 year olds who audition for their choir; who can read music; who sing mostly gospel music; and are likely to be either a soprano, alto or tenor. The Heart of Scotland Choir from Stirling, on the other hand, is made up of a large group of 15 to, ahem, well, I’d rather not say how old year olds; who don’t audition for their choir; who mostly can’t read music; who sing mostly rock and soul songs; and are likely to be either a melody lady, low lady or an, em, man.
But, we came together in Cambusbarron Church tonight and we clapped each other in warm welcome; we listened to each other perform our very different type of choir music with a mutual respect, admiration and – on numerous occasions – in total awe of the talent and sheer beauty of the sound that was gently wrapping itself around us; we showed our appreciation of each other by clapping, cheering, dancing, crying (there was a lot of crying!) and shouting for more; we learned a very special song together – written by Annie, Jane and their Dad, Laurie – and produced the most amazing and special moment when we filled the church with its totally awesome and uplifting words and tune; and we all simply didn’t want to leave when rehearsal was over.
It was awesome. I could’ve listened to the youngsters from Maryville College for another few hours; they reduced me to tears with almost every song and I definitely had the ‘wee hairy hairy’s’ when we all sang together.
There was lots of hugging, more tears, lots of gratitude and more mutual appreciation before we all headed off. Totally buzzing.
Gordon and I talked non-stop in the car on the way back home. One of the many highlights of the night for me had been watching Gordon do his thing brilliantly when he stepped up to sing solo in front of a large group of totally amazing singers who had just blown us away with their performance. He’s not often nervous, but Gordon had to sing with his eyes closed as he was frightened to look at the audience. He needn’t have worried though as he and his fellow soloist, Sasha, soon had our American friends standing up, clapping and dancing along!
It’s a few hours later and I’m still buzzing.
I am so very, very lucky to be part of the Heart of Scotland Choir. Tonight was a brilliant reminder of that. I loved every minute of what turned out to be a very, very special night.
See, told you you’d think I was being a bit over the top! But I’m really not, honest. And, aw man, does it make me feel good.
Nope not exaggerated one littel bit! An incredible experience! :)
ReplyDeleteFantastic Jane, you all sound fantastic what an experience. Your Anon pal x
ReplyDeleteIt was totally awesome and every bit as wonderful as you recorded here! Thank you from one of the MC chaperones! Will look forward to hosting you in Tennessee someday soon!
ReplyDeleteThank you Jane for sharing your thoughts about this experience! The memory of that Monday evening will always burn brightly in my mind... I hope that one day we can meet up again and experience more of your "wee hairy hairy's"!
ReplyDeleteBest to you, Annie & Jane--and all the members of the Heart of Scotland Choir! Always remember that you have friends in East Tennessee...
From FB:
ReplyDeleteHos: A brilliant Blog Jane! Loved it. xx
Jane: Thank you - for the lovely comment and for making it all possible. xxx
Andy: It's like you stepped into my head!x
Dinah: Beautiful. Jane xx
Jane: Thanks Andy - if yours is anything like my head this morning it'll still be buzzing! x
Jane: Aw, thank you Dinah. Was such a special night x
Kellyanne: Fab blog jane xx
Jane: Cheers Kellyanne. Can't wait to see our new pals this afternoon in the Holy Rude! xx
Kellyanne: Aw me too! Me, Dianne and Beth are going to see them at the Castle this morning xx
Ali: Wow!! Flower of Scotland brought tears to my eyes. One day I will re join a choir. Just don't have the time right now
Jane: Such a special thing to be a part of Ali. You're so busy with lots of new and exciting things at the moment too - joining a choir's just something else you've got to look forward to sometime in the future! Xx
Colin: A friend told me that anyone can sing. My wife (and children) tell me that I cannot sing a note. Who is right?
Jane: Well, I'm no expert Colin - but I reckon that everyone who wants to sing should sing. And I'm sure you can so sing a note - how do you manage when you're singing the Stirling Albion songs at the match...:P
Elaine: A fantastic experience Jane....your lovely words have captured it exactly! x