I’ve had a brilliant day today and I’m sitting here wondering if writing a blog post is such a good idea: (a) because I’m a bit - quite a big bit -drunk (b) because I don’t think I have the words to express exactly how I feel and (c) because I don’t want the blog to turn into a ‘Yeh! Go me!’ kind of thing. But, I do want to record this day in some sort of way so, stuff it, here goes:
I attended an interview recently for a place on the Postgraduate Diploma Course in Counselling at Strathclyde Uni. I’ve been checking my emails every day since, hoping to receive an acceptance, but I’ve been prepared for bad news as they only take 30 folk onto the course. The email arrived today; just as I was about to leave the house to drive to Dunblane to give a presentation to a group of students who’re just about to complete their first COSCA counselling skills module. It was perfect timing! This time last year I had no idea if I had what it takes to train to become a professional counsellor, but the certificate course was an incredible experience for me – on so many different levels – and it was, therefore, fitting that the day I’m told that I have a place on the Postgrad course is the day that I was invited back to talk to a group of new students about my certificate course experience. I’m kind of guessing that you’re thinking “what’s the big deal?”, but it was just very, very special for me. I was chuffed to bits to have been asked to give the presentation by my first tutor, Rachel. I have so much to thank her for and it was brilliant to go back after completing all four modules, along with my very special friend Linda, who’d been asked to give a presentation too. Linda and I met on the first day of the course at Dunblane, and we’ve become such close friends during this past year. Sharing today with her made the whole experience all the more poignant. It really brought it home to me how far we’ve both come and just how much we’ve achieved – not just in doing the skills course, but in many other different areas of our lives. This time last year there was absolutely no way that I could've stood up in front of a group of strangers and talked openly and passionately about my experiences. I was proud of both me and Linda for being able to do just that today.
Ocht, and it’s not just that; I’m feeling overwhelmingly proud of my kids tonight. Gordon sat his Highers prelims recently and has been receiving his results this week. It’s tough for Gordon, coming along behind his high-achieving sister and brother, but I’m really proud of his attitude. He’s had a mixed bag of results; some subjects he’s done better than he expected and some he’s done worse. But, with his usual maturity and optimism, he’s not at all fazed and, with our reassurance that we’ll be extremely proud of him – no matter what his results are – because he’s trying his best and working hard, he’s still smiling! And then there’s Gemma. Well, she’s finding her Uni work load tough - having had to step up a gear now that she’s into the Honours part of her degree - but I’m so proud of her attitude to it all too. Gemma’s always been a hard and dedicated worker, both at school and in the many ‘projects’ and jobs that she’s been involved with. Studying hard at Uni kind of fell by the wayside a wee bit in her first couple of years there, but she’s achieved so many other things in the meantime. She also works part-time (with many late night shifts) in one of the big hotels just outside St Andrews and she’s worked all summer, every summer to help pay her way. Being in an environment where she’s surrounded by students who are quite bemused by the fact that she has to work can be a wee bit challenging at times (“Don’t your Mum and Dad pay for everything?!!! How quaint that you have to work!”), but Gemma rises to that with head held high and a pride – that I’m very proud of – in her working class background. She popped home for a surprise visit the other night and it was just brilliant to coorie up on the couch for a good old blether with my wee grown up girl. She’s going to be away again working in London all summer, so I treasure every one of those moments. And then there’s Ross. Aw, I just love it when he pops home for one of his surprise visits too – I was spoiled this past week by having Ross here at the weekend and Gemma for a night during the week! I’ve been so proud of Ross’s attitude at Uni – he’s doing really well and is probably going to be exempt from all of his first year exams – and, I’m so chuffed that Ross is happy for his auld maw to be going to his Uni to do her Postgrad course! I’m not at all surprised by that attitude though; it’s typical of Ross to be considerate and caring. He never fails to amaze me with his thoughtfulness and selflessness. His - along with his big sister's and little brother's - messages of Congratulations today brought a tear to my eye and just made my heart swell. Ocht, I just love my kids and am so very proud of them all.
And, since I’m on a roll, I have to mention Alex here. I’m chuffed with all my wee achievements over the course of this past couple of years, ever since that first ‘I think I’ll give the OU a try’ moment (though they all pale into insignificance when I consider the importance of being there for my kids when they were growing up) but I wouldn’t have been able to do any of it without Alex’s steady support and encouragement. I love him so much and I love that we’re still having so much fun while playing at grown-ups!
I think I’ve slavered on enough now. I’ve a feeling that this is the kind of post I’ll read in the morning from behind my hands then hastily edit. I’ve had lots of bubbly to celebrate getting the place on the Postgrad Course, so this has been written straight from a very alcohol-influenced set of fingers! It’s not something I plan to make a habit of, but I just felt so warm and fuzzy inside and I really wanted to record it on my wee blog.
I think it’s time to stop now though. Night folks! (Hic....!)
Oh what a fabulous day you've had! Congratulations, Jane! So much to be proud of. You earned those drinks :)
ReplyDeleteThank you Nicky! Even the sore head this morning is a small price to pay! :)
DeleteCongratulations, So pleased for you as always pal I know how much it meant to you! your anon pal xxx
ReplyDeleteKaren, my very special friend - you would definitely have been getting a mention if I was up on a real platform! Your never-ending support and encouragement means the world to me. Thank you for being you. xxx
Delete