Monday, 5 December 2011

Starting Christmas early...

No matter when the tree goes up, the Milne household always follows the same tradition; silly Christmas hats have to be adorned, Christmas music has to be played, a wee drink or three has to be drunk, lots of chocolate decorations have to be eaten (‘because the string was broken...’), a few sweary words have to be muttered while the dreaded lights are sorted out, and we have to coorie up on the couch to watch ‘Elf’ or ‘The Grinch’ after the last bobble has been hung.

And, even though the Milne kids are all over sixteen years old, this year was no different.

....In fact, this year was a bit different, now that I come to think of it, as the tree went up earlier than ever before. Ironic really; when I think of all the years, when they were little, that the kids wanted to put the tree up as soon as they’d opened the first door on their advent calendars. “It’s far too soon!”, we’d say, and we usually managed to put them off till just a week or so before Christmas Day. So, why so early this year? Well, simply because last night was the only time in December that we could all manage to be in the house long enough to see our tradition through!

I guess I have to accept - sooner or later - that our putting-up-the-tree tradition will no longer be a whole-family affair. However, it made me feel all toasty inside when Ross and Gemma said they wanted to be here – and that’s the reason we went for it yesterday! I guess some folk might think it’s all a bit soft, but it’s a tradition that represents what Christmas is all about for us; just enjoying being together and having some good fun.

....Actually, now that I come to think of it, this year was a bit different for another reason; whoever came up with LED lights deserves a medal! I’m sure ours won’t be the only home that’ll enjoy a much more peaceful festive season without having to find that elusive dud bulb! In fact, not one sweary word passed the lips of Santa this year as he unfurled and plugged in his new set of shiny LED lights! Bliss!

You're never too old..........

5 comments:

  1. So cute! I love Christmas family traditions - that's what makes Christmas so special for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a lovely read Jane....how lovely that you all did it together even when your kids are all older too and im sure have much better things to be doing ...wishing you a beautiful christmas love from tracey and dave xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Nicky. I also love that everyone has their own wee things that are particular to their own family or friends. x

    Tracey! Great to hear from you here. Aw, and thanks for the lovely comment - same right back at you and Dave! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. This all sounds incredibly familiar...we did the same last Sunday. Tramping through the Christmas tree lot, fitting the tree into the barely big enough stand, rum and eggnog, and nary a sweary word (at least that anyone could hear :) This may be the last year we all do it together for a while, so I savoured it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It seems that the tradition is very familiar the world over Rebecca! Good to hear from you :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog. I love receiving feedback and comments - even if they're just to say a wee hello! So, I'm looking forward to hopefully hearing from you!