I was looking through some of the wee poems I've written over the years, and came across this wee ditty. You'll see that I'm no T.S. Eliot! This brought a wee tear to my eye; I know I'm biased, but Gemma really was the most beautiful little angel in her Primary School nativity....
The Brightest Star
Wisps of curling hair
Bounce together but fail
To dislodge the silver tinsel halo
So lovingly placed there.
Her star on a pole
Leads the line of white sheets
And shuffling black gutties
On angels' feet.
The chorus of ‘Noel’
Isn’t quite as planned.
Timing is lost
To waving hands
Tiny Tears stares blankly
From the bed of straw,
While shepherds (clad in Dads’ shirts and Mums’ tea towels)
Look down in awe
Three satin housecoats
Swish into the hall
And their wise little wearers
Dump gifts on the doll
Silence for the slightest moment.
Then, a crescendo of little voices
Beautifully sing
‘Hark the Herald
to our new born King!’
And, through smiling tears
I watch my wee star
Not for the last time
Shine brightest by far.
You might not be TS Elloit Jane but I bet he would have miffed to miss the chance to put 'gutties' into a poem.
ReplyDeleteAbsolute classic!
That is lovely.
ReplyDeletex
Haha! Thanks Al. Could've thrown in another wee verse describing the stooshie when the weans knocked over the pile of jotters that the jannie had piled up...
ReplyDeleteWelcome Scottish Mum! Thanks for taking the time to read my post and I'm touched that you liked it!
Sweet! I could see it all. Loved the bit about the wisemen dumping the gifts on the baby doll. What are 'gutties'?
ReplyDeleteHaha! Gutties is a Scottish word for black plimsoles - the little black shoes that the kids wear for gym at school. They're not so common nowadays though, as they all seem to wear trainers!
ReplyDelete