Never mind, I guess all that stuff’s pretty superficial. The most important things are the things I’ve learned from my mum. And, I’ve probably had just about the best teacher I could’ve had in the ‘How to be a good Mum’ school of life! I really couldn’t have asked for a more supportive, loving and caring person to be my mum and my pal during the past 46 years. Aw, thanks maw!
I’ve also had just about the best teacher I could’ve had in the ‘How to be a brilliant home-baker’ stakes, but I think I must’ve fallen asleep in that class! The only thing I’m good at, when it comes to home-baking, is licking the bowl and spoon. Aye, she might be getting on a bit, but my mum’s clootie dumpling is still the best I’ve ever tasted. I know it sounds bad that she had to bake the dumpling for her own birthday dinner, but I wouldn’t even contemplate taking over the mantle of the family clootie-dumpling-maker while my mother’s still going strong! I do know that some day in the future I’ll have no choice but to inherit that very important family role – but I’m sincerely hoping that that day is a long way off and it’ll still just be my job to lick the bowl and spoon for many more years to come...!
![]() |
| My lovely Mum, and her lovely dumpling! |

Aw, happy birthday Mum! xx
ReplyDeleteWhat a great wee post Jane. {And you're right - all the looks stuff is of secondary importance even if we have trouble admitting it to ourselves}
ReplyDeleteI haven't thought about Clootie Dumpling { or tasted one} for a long time. It's one of the most nostlgic memories of my childhood, always made by my Granny and laid reeking in the cloth by the side of the fire for the skin to form.
- Oops - soory got to go ......
I'll come back to this in a wee while.
Byeeeee.
A very happy birthday to "Mrs Bate" you have and always will have a special place in our family's heart love Jane's anon pal xxx (lovely post Jane)
ReplyDeleteAw, thanks Nicky!
ReplyDeleteAl: I too remember when my Gran used to make the dumpling. And, just like I used to do way back then - when I was a little girl - I still go into a major huff if I don't get to scrape the cloot then get to eat the 'ender' with all that lovely skin on it....!
My anon pal: ...just like 'Mrs Calder' does in ours xxx
ReplyDeleteFrom FB:
ReplyDeleteChristine R: Aw bless, she looks amazing (as does the dumpling)!! hope you had a great day xx
Mary K: Your mum is a one in a million Jane. She looks like she's had a fabulous day. ♥ ♥
Sian B: Glad you enjoyed a lovely day with your Mum x
Paul McQ: Rather poignant reading this Jane, as it is almost a year to the day that my Mum passed away. I hope you had a lovely day and enjoy many more with your Mum.
Jane Milne Hey pal. I know you'll have lots of happy memories of your mum; I'll always remember how nice it was to meet her and your dad the night before your wedding - and how patient Louise and Matthew were with their auld Grandparents! Sending a wee hug all the way to Shrewsbury. xx