Tuesday, 5 July 2011

Moving on again

I finished module 2 of my course at college last week. It wasn’t a pleasant last day and I came away feeling angry, frustrated and sad. Angry because I felt let down by the course tutor, frustrated because I had passed the module but knew we hadn’t covered everything we – technically - should have, and sad because I wouldn’t be seeing most of the girls in the class again. I’ve registered for the next two modules back at Rowan – where I completed the first part of the course – as I know, from past experience, that the style of tutoring will be much more to my liking.

If only it could’ve been that easy to chop and change teachers when I was at school! I had a particularly horrible French teacher, called Mr Horn, who completely put me off studying French further. I only ever got the belt once in my school life, and it was Mr bloody Horn that administered it, when I was 13 years old. I’d been swinging on my seat and he’d told me to stop. I forgot. I did it again later in the lesson and he completely blew his top. He had a sharp chin and these weird pointy ears with really gross grey hairs sprouting out of them (in fact, I’m sure that Mr Burns from The Simpsons was modelled on our Mr Horn!). He was a complete nut job.

I’ll never forget how frightened I felt as he bounded up to me, with a manic look on his bright red pointy face, and bawled at me to get out of the class. I couldn’t get off my chair quick enough and immediately did as I was told. This is a man, after all, who’d been disciplined for putting sellotape over a pupil's mouth some years before (or so the rumours went anyway..!). I stood, holding back the tears, out in the corridor. I knew I was going to get the belt – and I was bloody scared!

Within a couple of minutes the door opened and out came ... Alex!

“Are you OK?”, he said.
“No, I’m shitting myself! What the hell are you doing here?!”
“I told him he couldn’t speak to you like that and he told me to get out.”
“Are you off your head?!! He’ll kill you!”

A few minutes later Mr Horn appeared. He shouted first at Alex;

“PUT UP YOUR HANDS!” Alex, being Alex, raised both his hands above his head and shouted;

 “DON’T SHOOT!”

My hero then got belted – hard. I can’t remember how many times and I can’t remember what he did next but I do remember – very clearly – that I then got one of the belt. It was friggin sore and I had to bite my lip hard to hold back the tears (there was no way I was giving him the satisfaction of seeing me cry).

Dad went marching down to the school the next day to complain – as I’m sure many pupils’ parents had done over the years – but Mr Horn was still teaching at that school for a long, long time to come. Shocking really.

Yup, if only it was as easy at school to change class as it’s been for me with my course. You never know, I might even have ended up with a good qualification in French instead of being completely put off! Ça ne fait rien - c’est la vie!

So, I felt sad to be leaving my friends at college, but delighted to have reached the half way point in the course. I’m now looking forward to the next module and, again, meeting a whole new bunch of folk....And I’m sincerely hoping for a tutor that does it for me – or I might just have to set Alex upon him.....!

7 comments:

  1. Well congrats on being halfway there, Jane! Even though there were mixed emotions too. Your memories of school days were horrific! Great that your Dad came to your rescue, but I know what you mean - horrendous that teachers like that used to be able to maintain their careers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Male teachers weren't supposed to belt girls!!!

    But I completely agree a bad teacher can put you off a subject for life. In my case it was my physics teacher who told me for 3 years that girls shouldn't be doing physics and wouldn't let us do any of the experiments. The boys did them while we watched. And yeah I failed my Higher physics!!

    Ali x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nicky - thank you! There were loads of great teachers at my school that more than made up for the not-so-great so, fortunately, I've got many happy memories from school to outweigh the bad!

    Ali - He was a law unto himself (and I'm sure he wasn't the only one in our Scottish school system!) We were dead lucky with our science department and the girls, as far as I know anyway, were never made to feel any different from the boys. I just copped out of Higher Physics as it didn't make any sense, and settled for Biology instead (with the added bonus that the Biology teacher was one of the dishiest.!) x

    ReplyDelete
  4. " Put your hands up!! "
    " Don't shoot! Don't shoot! "

    That image gave me a good laugh this morning Jane,thanks :-) :-) :-)

    I had Monsieur Miller for French,he was pretty good as far as I recall. I would have been very good at French if I had'nt discovered Golf. I think I would also have been very good at Physics,Maths,Geography,Music,Accounts and Engineering Science if I had'nt discovered Golf :-) ....... wait a minute NO NO NO there is absolutely NO way I'd ever have been good at Engineering Science :-) the only thing I ever learned in that class was? how to win at 3 card brag,up the back of the class.Alex was in that class with Mr Candlish I'm sure,Candlish was a Currant......now say that very fast ;-)
    When I look back from my present perspective of travelling around in my Van then I really wish I had stuck in at ? .......... home eekies :-) as my cooking is shite :-)

    Don't shoot Don't shoot! hahhahahaahah brilliant :-)

    Have a good day Jane

    Billy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brilliant Jane, What was it about French teachers at our High school. Remarkably i only got the belt once too (honestly) and that was from Miss Cameron for not having a pencil!!! Likewise I think it was the only time my parents went to the complain as well! However I didn't have my hero sticking up for me, what a chivalrous thing to do. Go Alex. Well done on competing your module and I am glad you are going back to do the next one where you went before Congrats your Anon pal xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, my two anon pals!
    Lovely to share memories with you guys, who were there to experience it for yourselves! Och, we had some laughs really - didn't we...?!?
    Thank you! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. From FB:

    Paul: Hands up - don't shoot! Absolutely priceless. I can just picture Alex saying that! :-))

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog. I love receiving feedback and comments - even if they're just to say a wee hello! So, I'm looking forward to hopefully hearing from you!