Thursday, 19 May 2011

A curry night with a difference..

When my pal Julie asked if I’d like to go to the theatre to see Hardeep Singh Kohli as a treat for my birthday, I had to Google the name to find out who he was. As soon as I saw his photo I recognised him; you know the guy? He’s a Glaswegian broadcaster, big bloke, wears a turban, was the runner up on Celebrity Masterchef - though he’s much more familiar to me as ‘Naveed’ (from Still Game)’s brother and as a regular panellist on Question Time. Anyway, the show was excellent. Basically, it involved him chatting to the audience, and a couple of surprise special guests, while he cooked a curry on the stage. It felt a wee bit like sitting round a pal’s kitchen table, blethering while they rustled up the dinner. The guests turned out to be Nick Nairn and, best of all, Sanjeev Kohli – better known as Naveed!

It was unfortunate that the MacRobert (Stirling’s theatre) was half empty; though that’s not unusual and it certainly didn’t spoil the show. I don’t know whether hardly anyone from Stirling likes going to the theatre, or whether they just choose to go to Glasgow and Edinburgh when they do. I’m pretty sure it’s the latter; and, most of the ‘big’ productions don’t come to the MacRobert – so, maybe folk don’t realise the high quality of the shows that it sometimes does host? I mean, if you go along to see one of the local theatre groups, or school shows or gang show etc in Stirling, it’ll be packed out every night with families and friends. Maybe that’s it, maybe folk think of it as just a wee theatre for local, amateur productions? Anyway, I think their marketing department should be doing a better job!

After the show, I bought one of Hardeep’s books and stood in the queue with my friends to get it signed. I don’t usually go in for that kind of thing, but I’d really enjoyed the show and wanted a wee keep-sake from the night. While I was waiting my turn, I commented on the fact that my nose was still running after sampling the delicious, but very hot, curry he’d made on the stage. (Some members of the audience got to sample his cooking, and I was one of the lucky ones - even better, it was dished out to me by Nick Nairn!) Hardeep heard me, so signed my book, ‘To Jane and her streaming nose’, which I thought was a nice wee personal touch! Then, while I was waiting on my friends, I spotted Sanjeev Kohli standing over in the corner of the foyer. The couple of glasses of wine before the show and at the interval worked their wonder and I sauntered over to ask him to sign the back of my book (which, on reflection, was a bit rotten for Hardeep as it was his baw). Anyway, I said hello and asked if he would sign the book and make it out to Jane. My friend Pamela chipped in from behind me, telling him it was my birthday the next day. Without any hesitation, he jumped from speaking to me in his broad Glaswegian accent to being Naveed in saying, “Aw, Happy Birthday Jane, ya big boot!”, which he also wrote on my copy of Hardeep’s paperback!  We stood and blethered for a good ten minutes or so, as you would with someone you’ve just met down the pub, before it was time for the girls and I to head for home.

It was altogether a lovely night; spending time with some of my friends, getting entertained and cooked for by Hardeep Singh Kohli, getting served by Nick Nairn and getting called a boot by Naveed. Definitely one to remember!

2 comments:

  1. This one made me smile out loud......


    {How do I do that?????}

    lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, I don't know how you do that - but your comment made me smile too Al - thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog. I love receiving feedback and comments - even if they're just to say a wee hello! So, I'm looking forward to hopefully hearing from you!