Saturday, 25 May 2013

Inspiring a lovely song...

This is a p.s. to my last post! My pal Paul (remember Paul? My friend from choir who came into the hospice a few times to play guitar and sing with one of the patients? You can read more about him here) has written a song which was inspired by my 'Still burling round the bars' post. I just had to share it here on my wee blog; mainly because I'm chuffed, but also because I LOVE the song! Hope you do too....

I think it's funny
how we used to sit underneath the stars
Taking turns, racing trolleys
Still burling, burling round the bars

Of an age
That we won't stay
forever
'The fearless unafraid'

Head held high
You'll go far
If you keep burling
burling round the bars

Taking turns
to fall in and out of love
Take in turns
to announce our arrival to the world

Head held high 
You'll go far
If you keep burling, 
burling round the bars

I think it's funny
how we used to sit underneath the stars
Taking turns racing trolleys (pushing forty)
but still burling, burling round the bars...  

Paul McKeever, May 2013




Paul writes his own music, and he sings, and he plays the guitar and piano. And, one of his songs reached number 14 recently in the Scottish New Music Charts! I feel absolutely chuffed to bits that my 'burling round the bar' musings inspired him to write such a lovely song.

So, thanks Paul! The sunshine and your song has made me feel brilliant today!

3 comments:

  1. What a lovely song your anon pal

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely. I was rehearsing with my quartet today and we are going to do a version of this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVKBsruP_8U. I wondered if you had heard it before. It's lovely for a big choir. Lots do it, and there are plenty of examples on YouTube.
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's such a lovely song Rebecca, thank you for sharing it with me. I'd love to hear your quartet's version!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog. I love receiving feedback and comments - even if they're just to say a wee hello! So, I'm looking forward to hopefully hearing from you!