Sunday, 24 March 2013

.... coming back ......


Hullo! So, having said a fond farewell and written the ‘last post’ on my wee blog a couple of months ago, I’ve decided to, em, come back. OK, you may well be throwing your eyes up in the air whilst muttering ‘Jeeso! Make up your bloody mind!’, but I’m hoping you’ll bear with me while I try to explain! I’m not even back with a shiny, new, ‘let’s look at life from a completely different angle’ kind of wee blog; I’ve just decided to, sort of, re-start this one all over again! I guess I feel like a bit of a numpty. I mean, I did write a passionate, considered and very determined ‘last and farewell post’ in January, so I guess I do feel a wee bit silly just now! But, ocht, it’s not really that big a deal to feel silly, is it?!

 So, let me explain why I’ve decided to make a comeback (...that makes me sound a bit like Mickey Rourke! Though, I obviously don’t have any celebrity status to fall back on – and I definitely haven’t had any plastic surgery...). It’s pretty simple really; I knew that I’d miss writing my wee blog, but I didn’t realise just how much I’d miss it. It’s not that I’ve missed writing; I’ve still been writing – mostly in my journal – but it’s just not the same. There’s something about sharing your stuff regularly – or putting it out there – that makes blogging so appealing. I can’t quite put my finger on it, but there’s something really satisfying about posting scribbles that might be read by someone else, might even be enjoyed and might be commented on or responded to. I speak to myself when I write my journal, and it’s just not the same! One of these days, I’d like to have a go at writing articles for the internet, or magazines or even some sort of book (wouldn’t we all?!), but I don’t have the inclination or time for that at the moment. And I just enjoy the whole process of writing a blog post. So, what about the other reasons I gave for stopping; the parrots on  my shoulder, and the worrying about making personal stuff public, and the desire to start a completely different kind of blog? What happened to all of that? Well, I simply haven’t come up with any other ‘angle’ I want to take with a new blog, or anything else I want to write about. Not at the moment anyway. That - of course - might change in the future, but for now I still simply want to write about what’s making me feel good in some of my days. And, as far as my family, and the parrots and the sharing of stuff from an ethical point of view are concerned, well, I’ve decided I’d like to have a go at just being even more cautious and considerate of any possible consequences before I click the ‘publish’ button, in the hope that I can find a way of writing a personal blog that won’t compromise my family, my friends, my colleagues or my clients. It’s going to be a wee bit of a challenge, but one that I’m hoping won’t be insurmountable (which is how I saw it in January) and one that I’m actually now looking forward to with some relish!

We often have to stop doing the things that we enjoy (or the things that make us feel good!) due to some constraint or another and, sadly, the opportunities to get back to those things can sometimes be frustratingly difficult to find. And sometimes we feel a bit embarrassed – or a bit silly – about our decision to stop, and just feel we can’t go back. But this one’s a no-brainer for me. I stopped writing my wee blog because of certain constraints that I’d mostly imposed upon myself, and I guess I feel a bit daft about coming back to it after writing a big fond farewell, but not daft enough to stop me! It’s only a wee blog after all! 

So, here we go again dear reader – whoever you might be this time around! I’m really looking forward to joining you here again, and I hope you don’t think I’m too much of a numpty! Though, if you do, I can think of worse things to be; in the grand scheme of things, being a numpty’s really not that bad! Yup, coming back to something I said Goodbye to – that’s what’s making me feel good today!


8 comments:

  1. Hullo China.

    Welcome back.

    The thing is - it's all under our control. Publish, leave in draft for a re-read, delete or edit once posted are all options, but what goes on the page and when it hits the back of the net is all up to us.

    I hope you enjoy coming back and take it at a pace you're happy with. Like I said last time - you write it abd I'll be reading.

    Cheers.
    Alistair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hullo Al!
      Nice to virtually see you again! Thanks, as ever, for your wise words and support. It's good to be back! :)

      Delete
  2. If you feel like writing Jane....write. Don't worry about those parrots ! Good writing comes through free expression and not through worrying about offending.Its in you to write ....so get on with it ! :-)
    Enjoyed lunch lastweek,it was great to catch up with you and Alex after so many years. Looking forward to looking in on your blog....so get bloody writing ! ;-) Parrots ? al Parrots Yi !

    All the Best

    Billy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Was nice to catch up with you too Billy. Not so much worried about offending, more about crossing any ethical boundaries in my line of work, but I'm looking on it as good developmental practice! Hope you had a good trip back to the continent!

      Delete
    2. Thought you lived in Thtirling not Ethex Jane.


      {sorry}

      Delete
  3. Oh, we all go through that from time to time. I just am far too addicted to feedback to let it all go yet, for all the same reasons you described above.
    I took a writing workshop and our instructor said one thing that really stuck with me. She said, when writing about family and friends we must always 'use our powers for good.' I employ that principle with my blog and so far I haven't created too many scandals ;)
    Welcome back, Jane!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rebecca
      Thanks for that, great advice! I've not only been away from writing my own blog, but also from keeping up with others', so I'm looking forward to dropping by yours later for a wee catch up!

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog. I love receiving feedback and comments - even if they're just to say a wee hello! So, I'm looking forward to hopefully hearing from you!