I’ve had a funny past wee while, as far as my blog's concerned. I could easily have found
something that made me feel good in every day - even the shittiest of days -
but for some reason it felt like a bit of an onerous task to sit down, think about
what was making me feel good then write a post. Regular readers might have got a sense of that from some of my comments over these past few months. And the lengthy delay between posts probably
speaks for itself!
It would be easy for me to blame the lack of motivation to
update my blog on being busy. Maybe I’ve just not had the time? I have been really busy; still
volunteering at Strathcarron, still trying desperately to keep on top of work
work, still doing coursework, still being a member of the choir (though not managing along as much of late), still being there for my family and still
keeping up with the dirgy stuff like the housework etc (...only just...!). But, having
said that, I’ve been really busy with one thing or another ever since I started
writing the blog - whether it was volunteering, work work, some course or
another, choir rehearsals and gigs, family things or all the other stuff – and I
can’t really remember a time during this past two years when I’ve not been
busy. So, I can’t blame my lack of motivation for writing here on not having the
time. No matter how busy I was, I used to regularly make
the time to write my wee blog.
It might be that I’ve become more disciplined in writing my
personal journal. Keeping an up-to-date journal is, for me, a pretty essential
part of the Post-grad diploma. I was hopeless at doing it during the skills
course last year (maybe because I spent too much time writing blog posts
instead?!) so this time I’m determined not to let my journal slip. I’ve got a really rubbish memory, so the more I jot
down at the end of the day the better! Hm, maybe my blog-time has now become
journal-time? But, writing a personal journal doesn’t give me anything like the
same kind of pleasure that writing a post for my wee blog gives me. So, surely I’d still
make the time to write my blog more regularly if that was it?
Maybe it’s because I’ve felt quite sad on quite a few more occasions
than usual over this past wee while. I keep losing people, and things, and special
people from things, and things that involved working with special people. Ocht,
that probably doesn’t make much sense; it’s just that I’m wondering if feeling a bit sad recently has played a part in my lack of motivation to write here. But, there's definitely been plenty of good
stuff mixed in with the sad - and there’ve been plenty of other occasions over
the course of this past 2 years when I’ve felt sad about something but still felt keen to write a post for my wee blog. Nope, I don’t think that’s it.
Hm, maybe my wee blog is reaching its sell-by date this time.
Maybe it’s run its course. Maybe there isn’t any one particular reason why I
haven’t felt like writing a post. Maybe I’m over-thinking it! When I’ve toyed
with shutting up my blog shop in the past, good friends and loyal distant
followers have been kind enough to say that they’d miss it if it was gone. Is that it? Do I
need some kind of positive feedback every now and again to help motivate me to
continue? Ocht, I’m disappointed with myself for even considering that to be
the reason. I'm not looking for sympathy, empathy, or for my blog posts to be praiseworthy, creditworthy or any other kind of -thy! I’ve said right from the beginning that the purpose of the blog was simply to encourage me to write, without getting hung up on the technicalities, about things that made me feel good. It
wasn’t to create a popular piece of prose! I’m touched that I touch some people in
some way or another with some of the things I write - but that should never be
the sole reason for me keeping on with my blog. It should always be something I do to make me feel good. Writing this, right now, is making me feel good. Making readers feel good too is a glorious
added bonus.
Ocht, it's so simple. There doesn’t need to be a time-limit between posts, and I shouldn’t get so hung up on reasons why I haven’t felt like writing a post. It doesn't matter! Sometimes I'll have the time or motivation to write here, sometimes I won't. Jeeso, I don't know why I was making such a big deal of it!
There we go; I’m definitely not ready to say goodbye to my wee blog and lose yet another thing that makes me feel good! Decision made: this wee blog’s here to stay for another wee while yet.
And, dear reader, if you've managed to stick it out till the end of this post - well done! I'm going to leave you with a song. It's really in tribute to one of my best choir buddies (you know who you are and I'm going to miss you SO much!), but it also just seemed like a nice wee song to finish off my ramblings tonight. See you ..... sometime soon!
Hullo Jane,
ReplyDeleteSeems like we've both been musing on similar topics and have come to the same answer equally independantly. Just like you I've been struggling to post for reasons professional and personal. I've relied heavily on posting my weekly favourite poem but have found that lacking and it's left me with feelings of laziness and occasional guilt, but the reality is more complicated and as you say regular posting shouldn't really have to be the be all and end all. If we do it for ourselves - and I agree with you on that - it doesn't matter how often if we're happy with what's being written.
But enough about me {or us} and perhaps a wee bit about you and why I'm glad your not jacking it in.
Your very first comment on my blog was an 'I wish I could do it like this' kind of thing and I responded by coming over and having a look at what you were doing. As a result I signed up immediately-you had that kind of impact - and your writing is some of my favourite and most consistent reading online. That's because it's solid, straightforward, honest to goodness slices of life; aye -sometimes mundane, sometimes banal but always written with an easy grace and a good eye. I loved following your work at Strathcarron. It was so inspirational, so compassionate but avoiding the sticky sweet sentimentality that most of us would have fallen into.
You've got something Jane and no matter what or how often - you write it and I'll be here reading - guaranteed!
And if sometimes you feel your struggling for a subject or to make it regular.......
Welcome to the club.
So glad you've decided to stick with it.
Don't get it right - just get it written. { and when you can}
Cheers pal!
Thank you so much for all of that Al. I know that you have periods of inactivity on your blog too, but I didn't realise that you sometimes have the feelings of laziness or guilt - or whatever - that I sometimes do. Maybe that's a whole subject for blogging about in itself: 'the feelings that not blogging provokes..!!'
DeleteI'm also grateful for your feedback on my writing. I know I can count on an honest assessment from you and I value your comments and constructive criticisms. Writing our blogs to make ourselves feel good is the most important thing - but every bit of encouragement (be it to applaud or constructively criticise) helps! Even the destructive criticisms can be good - I remember one time someone slating me for something I'd written about the SAMS and I remember still feeling chuffed that some stranger had taken the time to read my wee blog - whether he'd liked it or not!
So, thank you for your comment. Now, I'm off, as usual, to see if there's a good Sunday Post poem to mull over while I eat my Sunday breakfast. There's this guy that writes a great blog and every Sunday he posts a poem - it's one of my favourite blogs - you should check it out some time when you have a minute......
and when I said 'banal' and 'mundane', that's the way life is sometimes - not the writing!
DeleteHahahaha - I got that Al! That's the way life is a lot - I totally agree! But thanks for the clarification anyway! :)
Delete