Friday, 10 August 2012

Anticipating seeing Gemma

I usually write retrospective blog posts and blether about things that I’ve already done, or things that have already made me feel good. But today it’s a wee ‘looking ahead’ post as I’m all excited about our weekend trip down to the big smoke! London’s been very much in the news over this past fortnight and I can’t wait to get down there to soak up some of the Olympic atmosphere. We don’t have any tickets to see anything, which is a bit disappointing, but I know that we’ll have a great time all the same. We’ve loved watching it on the telly, with so many incredible sporting moments to savour, and are just looking forward to being there in amongst it all.

But being in London while the Olympics draws to a close is really just an added bonus to the main - and much more important - purpose of our trip; to spend some time with Gemma! She’s been working (and I mean working; starting at 7.30 every morning and not finishing till nigh on midnight most nights!) on her internship since the middle of June and I just can’t wait to see her. It’s only been 2 months and she’s not a million miles away, but I’ve been missing my wee girl and I’m so excited about seeing her, hugging her, catching up properly on all her news and getting to spend a whole weekend with my brood all around me. Bliss! 

A good friend of mine will - like me - be hugging and celebrating with one of her kids tonight. It’s her son’s 8th birthday today. However - unlike me - Linda won’t have her whole brood round about her. It’s over two years since her other son, Gregor, died. I would never speak for her (because she’d slap me...) but I can say with confidence that not one single day, hour, or even moment passes that Linda doesn’t miss, and long for, Gregor. I know the depth of my feelings when I miss my kids, even though I’m safe in the knowledge that I’ll see them again sometime soon - it might be a few weeks, or a few months later, but I will see them again soon. I can’t even begin to contemplate how ‘missing Gregor’ feels for Linda. There is absolutely no comparison and I wouldn’t insult her by even trying. Like her other friends, I can only give her hugs (she’s one of thee best huggers I’ve ever met...) and appreciate her awesomeness as a mother, wife, daughter and pal. I hope she has a lovely night tonight with her husband and her adorable son. 

So, I’m off to finish off some work work, pack a bag, wait for Alex to come home, pick up the boys from their respective summer jobs and hit the trail that leads to Gemma - with a wee bit of Olympic buzz thrown in. Cannae wait!

2 comments:

  1. Have a fantastic time! I'll look forward to your updates! Bitter-sweet news to hear about your friend Linda though. Very sad to hear of her loss, but I hope she enjoys hugging her 8 year old extra tightly tonight x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too look forward to your Olympics/Gemma post! We just moved our Eldest the The Big Smoke (Vancouver) and I'm very glad he is only and hour and a half hours drive away from us. I hope you had a wonderful time!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog. I love receiving feedback and comments - even if they're just to say a wee hello! So, I'm looking forward to hopefully hearing from you!