Monday, 4 June 2012

Running; here, there and everywhere!

I think I’ve mentioned more than a few times on my wee blog how much I love that my family are involved in the sport of running. I miss running myself, but I love that I can still be part of the scene in a more sedate supporting role! This weekend was a case in point. While some of our friends from Central AC were ensconced (and doing extremely well) in the Scottish National Championships in Glasgow, the Milne boys were competing in the more laid-back events of the Gargunnock Hill Race, the Balmoral Half Marathon and the St Andrews Chariots of Fire 5k Beach Race! And the Milne girls were providing the vitally important ‘cheering on’ support! Here’s how our weekend panned out:

1. Gemma, Ross and I left home in the early evening of Friday to head up to the Spittal of Glenshee Hotel. We couldn’t have picked a nicer night for the drive up north; how lucky are we to live in Scotland?! The hotel was really busy and we’d obviously been given the last two ‘we only give out these rooms when the hotels fit to bursting’ rooms. Skanky with no hot water, but it didn’t really matter. Cheap and cheerful was all we needed and the entertaining goings-on of the hapless staff more than made up for any shortcomings with the rooms!

2. The three of us left on Saturday morning (after almost breaking a tooth on the bacon..) to drive to Balmoral. More beautiful scenery to admire and enjoy; how lucky are we to live in Scotland?!

3. In the meantime, while we were on the road to Balmoral, Alex was running up and around the Gargunnock Hills setting up the course for the Gargunnock Hill Race. Rucksack on his back, big bag of signs, tape, mallet and pegs in his hand. My hero.

4. The three of us spent most of the day in the beautiful grounds of Balmoral. Ross ran in the SJP Balmoral Half Marathon and came in 2nd. He didn’t retain the title he won last year, but thoroughly enjoyed the event all the same. Gemma and I thoroughly enjoyed the local butcher’s barbequed burgers and cheering the runners in.

5. Alex and Gordon, meantime, took part in the 5th Gargunnock Hill Race. This is an event close to our hearts as it’s run in memory of a dear friend, David Hay. Alex came in 3rd and Gordon had a great run too, winning a bet with his former boss and picking up all the tips from the local pub as his just reward.


6. We left Balmoral to drive to St Andrews for a night in Gemma’s student flat.

7. Alex, in the meantime, left Stirling on board a train to Dundee. If things had gone to plan, he would’ve arrived in Dundee in time to catch the train to Leuchars. We would’ve collected him from Leuchars before heading off for dinner in St Andrews. Unfortunately, his train hit a cow. Fortunately, no-one on the train was injured. Unfortunately, the same couldn’t be said for the cow...

8. We collected Alex from the train station in Dundee before heading off, late, for dinner in St Andrews.

9. Gordon stayed at home and enjoyed an 'empty' with his pals. I can’t report too much on how that went as 'what happens in the empty stays in the empty'. Suffice to say that the house was in one piece when we arrived home and, so far, I’ve received no complaints from the neighbours...

10. On Sunday Alex and Ross competed in the St Andrews Chariots of Fire 5k Beach Race. Ross came in 3rd and Alex followed on in 5th. They were first and second last year, but they thoroughly enjoyed the event and the atmosphere all the same. Gemma and I thoroughly enjoyed cheering them, and some of our friends from Central AC, on.

It was absolutely baltic on St Andrews beach so the post-race BBQ was abandoned in favour of an earlier journey home.

11. We arrived home. Absolutely knackered after our mini tour of Scotland, but feeling very very good!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that was quite a tour of duty you did! I miss driving around Scotland :( Glad you all had such a fun running event though, and I'm glad the sun was shining for you all - despite the Baltic conditions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a wonderful tour. I'll admit I got all fluttery when you mentioned the St. Andrew's Chariots of Fire 5K. I just love that film and even saw it recently.
    And yes, you are lucky to live in Scotland! Please say hello to my ancestors over there - for I have many.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog. I love receiving feedback and comments - even if they're just to say a wee hello! So, I'm looking forward to hopefully hearing from you!