Monday, 30 January 2012

Being awarded a placement at Strathcarron

I received a message last week that made me take a sharp intake of breath, then say out loud (even though I was sitting on my own at the time), “Oh My God!.....Woohooo!...... Aw, that’s so Great!.......Oh Help!....”

I think I mentioned, in a previous post, that I was waiting to hear if I’d been successful in an application I’d made for a 4 month part-time placement; well, the message I received started with “Congratulations!” and went on to say “You’ve been awarded a placement on the Vodafone World of Difference Programme.” It’s the news I was so hoping for and I’m still, one week later, over the moon - but also pretty nervous about the task ahead! I’ve not been allowed to write anything about it before now as we were asked to keep it to ourselves until the Vodafone Foundation launched its own press release. Now that I’m free to talk about it, I don’t really know where to start!

I think I’ll leave the details for another post. But, basically, the Vodafone World of Difference Scheme awards 500 placements in the UK each year to people who would like to try to ‘make a difference’ to a charity of their choice. It doesn’t cost the charity a penny and it gives people, like me, who love working for their charity but can’t afford to volunteer for more than a few hours a week, the opportunity to spend more time helping out. I had to put together a kind of ‘pitch’ for what I would like to do and I came up with a project called ‘A Myriad of Music’. I have absolutely no professional qualifications in music, in any way, shape or form, but I do know that music can make a difference to people’s lives. So, I’m hoping to introduce some new things to the Hospice that will be both therapeutic and enjoyable for the patients, and I also hope to raise some money for Strathcarron as part of the process. I'm also really hoping to involve as many people in this as possible (and am hoping for some help along the way!) as music is something that so many people can benefit from - whether it's listening to it, sharing it, performing it or talking about it.

I’ll record more of the details in my next post; I just wanted to note on my wee blog how excited, chuffed and privileged I feel to have been given this fantastic opportunity to work with the lovely staff and patients at Strathcarron. I can’t wait to get started on the 1st of March – and once I manage to get my nerves in check - I’m sure I’m going to love every minute!

Here's the video I made to go along with my application; hopefully it gives you the general gist of what I'm going to be doing.


5 comments:

  1. Braw!

    Well done - great news Jane.

    I look forward to hearing more about it.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. From FB:

    Linda: Woooooohoooooooooooooooooo​o indeed! :-D x

    Christina W: Been thinking about -''What's making me feel good today?''. Well,nice and simple,the roses i got,today.xx

    Dianne Mckenzie QB: a girl I know is on a placement there just now....another friend is a Staff Nurse they love it x

    Jane Milne: Aw, know I've said it loads already Linda, but thank you SO much for all your help, inspiration and, ocht, just for being you! Much love xxxx

    Linda: You're so very welcome - I think I felt as happy hearing your news that you had a place as I did when I got my own place a year ago - Its an amazing scheme and here's my wee blog from my induction day a year ago which shows you what sort of a time you are letting yourself in for ....
    http://​worldofdifference.vodafone.​co.uk/blogs/linda-sterry/​28th-feb-induction-day-abso​lutely-inspiring/

    Jane Milne: Sitting bubbling reading that pal! Would love for you to be up on the stage giving your winners story - have they not asked?! Loving my wee comment on your blog too about following you as a 'new friend'!! xx

    Sian: Well done - your ideas sound great. Good luck x

    Linda: Heeheehee! Hmmmm maybe they've not been able to find me lol!! My winners story is still very much 'work in progress' i think! I learnt so much about so many different charities - am sure they will have some incredible speakers lined up. The energy in the room that day was electric! x

    Mair: Aww well done you! That's fantastic! Sounds like a really worthwhile project and certainly a worthwhile charity! Happy to help out if you need a hand any time. :) x

    Debbie: Jane this is awesome!! YOU'RE awesome!! I'm sure you're going to come up with some amazing ideas and it will be a huge success. I know my Mum got in touch with her creativity in a way she'd never experienced while at Strathcarron. She was so proud of the paintings coming out of her, and I think it gave her tremendous comfort and self-esteem when she was in her lowest times. I have every faith music can do this too as art has done for patients and I wish you all the very best with it.
    x

    Jane Milne: Aw, thank you so much Debbie. I just feel so privileged to be given the opportunity to work in such a special place. I'm so glad that your Mum benefited from everything that Strathcarron had to offer - which is so much more than fantastic medical care. Stories such as yours make me even more determined to make the very most of every minute that I'm allowed to spend there. Thanks again xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. From FB:

    Hos Choir Annie Jane WELL DONE!!!!!!!!!!! xx

    Linda: Well done! - I definitely CAN believe it - I just knew you would do it. Its gonna be a crazy few months but I know you're more than up for it - Enjoy! xxx

    Lorna R: Well done Jane x

    Louise R: that's great news Jane, well done xx

    Carrie D: Well done u xx

    Elaine S: Congratulations Jane....great news! x

    Jane Milne Thank you all so much!

    Diana H:Well done Jane. I'm sure you'll find it very rewarding.

    Becky C: What a star you are, Jane! X

    Karen McD: Never doubted for a minute that you would get a place. What an achievement! I am sooooo pleased for you. Congratulations and well deserved! Looking forward to hearing all about your new challenge xx

    Tracey Mc: Well done Jane you will be great xx

    Paula: Congratulations Jane! That's great! x

    Joanne K: Congratulations! That's so good.xx

    Morag A: Yeah, wonderful news & well done

    Billy K: Well done Jane !

    Alexis: Congratulations again Jane. X

    Paul McK: Well deserved Jane!

    Jane Milne: Thanks to you all! I'm so touched by all your comments :) xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog. I love receiving feedback and comments - even if they're just to say a wee hello! So, I'm looking forward to hopefully hearing from you!