Wednesday, 31 August 2011

Feeling good being with someone who usually makes me feel bad....

Unfortunate timing means that by this time tomorrow I’ll have been on three different training courses within five days; a one-day training session for one of my voluntary roles, the first two days of my Module Three COSCA course, and a one-day course at the Hospice. As a result, my head’s a wee bit puggled tonight and I’m struggling to string even a few words together, but something happened that made me feel so good, I just had to scribble it down.

You know how we all have porcupines in our lives? You know the kind of folk I mean? No matter how happy, excited or optimistic we’re feeling when we bump into them, by the time we’ve parted company our bubble’s been well and truly burst by their spiky cynicism.  Well, I bumped into someone tonight whose attitude has affected me in precisely that way for years and I’m so chuffed that I managed to walk away this time with my bubble well and truly and firmly intact! I’m not sure why I was better equipped to resist the comments that would, in times gone by, have upset me, dented my confidence or spoiled my mood but - whatever the reason - our little encounter left me feeling great!

Someone once said: “a cynic can chill and dishearten with a single word”, which pretty much sums up the effect that this person used to have on me. I don’t think they ever will again though; surely once you’ve come through the attack of a porcupine with a smile still securely planted on your face, you’ve set yourself up to resist future bubble-bursting attempts?! And, if I do find myself wavering the next time, it'll be well worth remembering what someone else once said: “Watch what people are cynical about and we can often discover what they lack.....”

6 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you managed to banish a demon that's plagued you for years. That smile as you left them was worth savouring.

    I can be a complete cynic at times, although I try not to be - it's as bad being on this side as listening to me when I'm off on one....

    Keep your chin up - and head down - for another day at least.

    And remember..... the weekends not too far away!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too am happy that you managed to avoid letting the porcupine leaving you feeling spiked up too. It's so true how we can't change these porcupines into fluffy rabbits, but we can definitely change how we let them affect us. Great to hear you were victorious :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Al, I too can be a bit of a cynic at times - but I try not to make it personal! Maybe I'm being a bit of a hypocrite...?!

    Nicky - hahaha, fluffy rabbits! Love that. If only it were that straightforward, eh? Totally agree - it was a shift in my attitude that made me feel differently last night.

    ReplyDelete
  4. good for you. I hate people who sap your energy with their negative thoughts. As I get older I have ditched all these people from my life, who needs them? I now surrounding myself with creatures with smooth exteriors. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Louise! A menagerie of fluffy friends sounds like a definite plan!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know how you feel Jane? amateur golfers do ma head in....unless they cross my palm with silver for some advice I simply put my hands over my ears and go Lalallalalalaalalalallaalalalalala LAAAA! until they go away :-))))))

    hey am no kiddin by the way.....and it wurks :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog. I love receiving feedback and comments - even if they're just to say a wee hello! So, I'm looking forward to hopefully hearing from you!